Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Boston Butt

biggin74
biggin74 Posts: 37

Hey fellow eggers,

I am doing my first Boston Butt and being from LA, (I now live in KY) I bought some dizzy pig swamp venom to coat the outside of the boston but. I have seasoned it tonight and will let it sit in the fridge overnight with the seasonings on it. It was cut in half when I bought it so I am only smoking about 10lbs. I have read where it takes about 2 hours per pound to smoke. I wanting to get y'alls opinion, I know my brisket cooked faster in the egg than my other grills. I do not have a outside meat thermometer so my meet thermometer will be in the pig inside the grill. I do not want to disturb it by opening it very much at all. And at what temp is it best to take off  of the egg? I will be working and sleeping so I will be setting an alarm to do all this.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Hi.  It can take 0.75 to much longer per pound for butt but it all depends on what temp you cook.  The egg doesn't like to run below 250 so maybe that's why it seems to cook faster than other smokers that easily run at lower temps. 

When your internal meat temp hits around 190, start checking for tenderness.  There's no set temperature to pull, but when it's starting to fall apart and you can skewer it and there's no resistance, or you can pull the bone out, it's done.
    +1 @nolaegghead , I'm no expert I pull mine around 196ish. And my time differs the last one I did had 2 temp stalls and the second stall lasted for a while. 
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    First, I don't think your butt was cut in half.  If you bought it in a cryovac package, they normally are packaged two butts per package. Pork butts normally run 7-10 pounds each.  Sounds like you got a large one.

As for cooking time, there is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough.  Below you can see some approximate cooking times for various temperatures. These times were pulled from other discussions on this forum.

225: Plan for 2 hours a pound at 225

250: Cook time (average): >1.5 hrs/lb @ 250.

250: You're looking at about 1.5 hours per # if your roll 250. 

250: At 250 dome my experience is around 2 hours per pound. 

250: Plan for 1.5 hours a pound at 250.

275: Bump the temp up to 275. about an hour to 90 minutes per pound to cook and they come out great.

275: Cook it at 275 ish, should take hr/lb maybe a little less. maybe a hair bit more.

290: Cook time (average): 1 hr/lb @ 290.

350: If you go 350 straight thru you can count on about 45 mins lb. YMMV 

350: I go 350 until done, never foiling. It takes about an hour per pound. 

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Here's something that may make the internal to the BGE temperature check simpler:  Align the thermo with around 190*F pointed straight up.  Then position it so you can see it thru the top.  Easy to get a visual w/o opening the BGE-just make sure the DFMT is returned to the same settings.  It might work...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • biggin74
    biggin74 Posts: 37
    lousubcap said:
    Here's something that may make the internal to the BGE temperature check simpler:  Align the thermo with around 190*F pointed straight up.  Then position it so you can see it thru the top.  Easy to get a visual w/o opening the BGE-just make sure the DFMT is returned to the same settings.  It might work...

That is actually a great idea! that will work without effecting the internal temp to much! Thanks..