Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Plate" setter for the small egg.

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
I recently picked up a used Woo but don't have the stone.  So, I set a plate on it  =).  The plate is oven safe so why not...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I am interested to see how this goes. Ovens don't generate the intense direct flame/heat of the Egg, but you already know that of course. I bought a little stainless steel pan at a kitchen supply store for a couple bucks. It works great and weighs almost nothing. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    I am interested to see how this goes. Ovens don't generate the intense direct flame/heat of the Egg, but you already know that of course. I bought a little stainless steel pan at a kitchen supply store for a couple bucks. It works great and weighs almost nothing. 

I expect it to break...but I have 12 more in the cabinet and we aren't too crazy about these ugly azz plates anyway ;).  

@Hi54putty do you use anything else aside from the pan like fire bricks, or does the pan do the trick by itself?  I was thinking of trying a terra cotta pot saucer, spacer, and some kind of pan.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

I expect it to break...but I have 12 more in the cabinet and we aren't too crazy about these ugly azz plates anyway ;).  

@Hi54putty do you use anything else aside from the pan like fire bricks, or does the pan do the trick by itself?  I was thinking of trying a terra cotta pot saucer, spacer, and some kind of pan.  

I've had the pan for a few years with no issues at all. I have the plate setter but don't really see any need to lug it around when I travel with the small egg. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Cool- thanks for the tip.  I have had my small 4 years and I have just been rigging indirect cooks.  I had a cheap raised grid and I would just use foil and it seemed to work just fine.  I have never done any really long cooks on the small because I use the large if I am making butts, ribs, brisket, etc.  

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Cool- thanks for the tip.  I have had my small 4 years and I have just been rigging indirect cooks.  I had a cheap raised grid and I would just use foil and it seemed to work just fine.  I have never done any really long cooks on the small because I use the large if I am making butts, ribs, brisket, etc.  
    A couple things.
    First congrats on the Woo…they are fantastic.
    I see you have a second cooking grate in the lower position. You should not need that. Your pan will rest on the 2 cross bars of the Woo. This will let you easily drop wood chunks into the lump.
    I think I can also see 3 nuts welded to the outer, lower ring of your Woo.
    You can thread carriage bolts into these nuts letting the roundish head of the bolts rest on your fire ring. This will let you raise your Woo even higher in the dome. I like to keep mine an inch over felt line most of the time but also crank it up high for pizza and wings. The Woo can be very versatile.
    I hope you enjoy it. I have one for each of my Smalls. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    You can buy a 13" ceramic pizza stone at Home Depot for about $14 and cut it down.  It works great.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I used a saucer once when I was at Mom's with my mini and no stone. It seemed to work great. I was washing it afterwards, trying to give her her saucer back, and it broke in two. It may have had a crack before I put it in the egg as there was some interior staining where it should have been white. Next time, I'll bring my stone.

PS: Yes, I let it cool before washing. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    A couple things.
    First congrats on the Woo…they are fantastic.
    I see you have a second cooking grate in the lower position. You should not need that. Your pan will rest on the 2 cross bars of the Woo. This will let you easily drop wood chunks into the lump.
    I think I can also see 3 nuts welded to the outer, lower ring of your Woo.
    You can thread carriage bolts into these nuts letting the roundish head of the bolts rest on your fire ring. This will let you raise your Woo even higher in the dome. I like to keep mine an inch over felt line most of the time but also crank it up high for pizza and wings. The Woo can be very versatile.
    I hope you enjoy it. I have one for each of my Smalls. 
    @Photoegg- thanks for the tips.  Yes my original plan was to use that smaller cooking grid and I had some pieces from a broken pizza stone and then decided to set a plate on top.  

• SmokeyPitt
    Options

I used a saucer once when I was at Mom's with my mini and no stone. It seemed to work great. I was washing it afterwards, trying to give her her saucer back, and it broke in two. It may have had a crack before I put it in the egg as there was some interior staining where it should have been white. Next time, I'll bring my stone.

PS: Yes, I let it cool before washing. :)
    Yeah I suspect this plate will be sacrificed.  I will see how long it lasts just for kicks, but I plan to get a stone.  

Hawg Fan said:
    You can buy a 13" ceramic pizza stone at Home Depot for about $14 and cut it down.  It works great.
    Thanks!  I will check that out.  I think cutting it into an oval would work well.