Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEWWBBYY!!!

Options
got my new egg last week!!
love it

buying my plate setter today!!
question is -----

to cast iron the cooking surface or not and use what the ole bge came with??

Comments

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Maybe some will disagree with this but I don't really see the need for the cast iron grates and don't use them.  I have a multi-level grate made out of steel from Ceramic Grill Works which they say is similar to cast iron and needs to be seasoned each time I use it.  I don't use it very much anymore as I don't like having to remember to season it and it also doesn't work with my Woo2.  I would just get the plate setter if it was me and start looking into either the adjustable rig or woo.  I get more way more use out of my Woo than I would CI Grates.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Welcome. Can't say on the cast iron as I don't have one.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Welcome.    Take your time before spending on the CI grid. Some of us don't think they add any value over the cooking grid that came with your egg. Some others do prefer them. Cook for a while with what you have and decide later after you have some experience. You may prefer to keep the original grate and use a cast iron griddle when you need CI.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I'd also recommend skipping the plate setter and looking at an AR or Woo from Ceramic Grill Store.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    I got a half circle CI insert instead. Love it. 
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

We bought a CI grid and it sits in our shed.  Honestly it really doesn't add any value to a cook, and it's heavy and bulky.  Personally my favorite addon right now is the DigiQ.  My advice:  Save your money on the CI Grid.  Congrats and welcome to the club!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome aboard. I have a CI grid for my LBGE and it stays in there. I like it. I can get grill marks or with delicate cuts flip the grid and use the flat side. For searing 9x out of 10 I prefer a CI pan or skillet. And personally I'd skip the PS and just bite the bullet and hop right into the CGS AR pkg. I wish I had known about it before I bought my PS. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BigGreenGiant
    Options
    Welcome. Can't say on the cast iron as I don't have one.
    Yo its AD (ER)
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I am in the CI group. I love mine. I never use my stock grid. I like the sear marks and the flat sides are great when cooking stuff that tends to wanna fall through. I also have the PSwooCI because I aleady had the platesetter. I use it for pretty much all cooks direct or indirect. 

Little Rock, AR

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    My Cast Iron grate gets used probably 9/10 cooks.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • BigGreenGiant
    Options
    Cool
    all good posts
    thanks for the imput
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Just throwing this in here but the rule is pics or it didnt happen
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..dont buy anything for a while.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Eggcelent advise ^^^^^ by @henapple
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    I bought my BGE with CI grate which I really enjoy since it does a great job with grill marks. However, I've never used anything else so it could be that any will do. One thing I did purchase after a while was a CI platesetter. It can be used to sear steaks and it doesn't break like the other two ceramic ones I had.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump