Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southern Hemisphere Reverse Sear

Options
My first attempt at steaks on the egg didn't go the best , so I have concentrated on other stuff, but last week decided to have another go.
I let the stoker bring the egg up to temp, 385 f

that ladder, cough, cough, is the table for this cook!
Probably could have trimmed the strip a bit more, indirect with platesetter in woo
Roasted to 118 internal

Pulled the steak to let it rest whilst I removed the stoker system, lifted out the woo holding the plate setter, and cranked up the heat

cast grillfrom cgs, in should have grabbed the infrared thermometer to get an idea of the grill temp

Probably should have turned the fan on :)
Nearly forgot to take this pic.
In hind sight would have seared for thirty seconds a side less. Great fun though, need more practice though .

Comments

• Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    Options
    question - have you had problems with your stoker temp probe to the point where you wrapped it in foil?  I have not had any melting issues and am curious?
    Victoria, MN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Looks like it was great fun, love the pics of the going nuclear egg. When I do a reverse for steaks, the roast is done at 250º, indirect. I thought the idea was to get the edge to edge finish as close to the same as possible, lower heat lets that happen, IMO. Any reason you picked 385º?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    Adrock said:
    question - have you had problems with your stoker temp probe to the point where you wrapped it in foil?  I have not had any melting issues and am curious?
    I never wrapped until I noticed a section where the insulation had deformed . It was about six inches or so back from the probe, I think it must have rested on the edge of the cooking grill where the heat coming from the fire is the hottest.
    so since then i have wrapped just as a precaution.
  • Aussie
    Options

Looks like it was great fun, love the pics of the going nuclear egg. When I do a reverse for steaks, the roast is done at 250º, indirect. I thought the idea was to get the edge to edge finish as close to the same as possible, lower heat lets that happen, IMO. Any reason you picked 385º?
    Just checked with my lad and we did cook at 250. The wings I did tonight were at 385. :|
    They were tougher than I hoped for, which may have been a Grade thing or were not aged enough.
    Going to track the temp rise a bit more whilst they are resting. 
    Steaks are a work in progress at this stage

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    On a reverse sear, I pull at 115.  I have foiled and not foiled.  After pulling, I let the temperature go up to about 400-450  or so.  If unfoiled, you probably need to grill direct for 2 minutes per side to reach 135.  If foiled, go 2 minutes for the first side and about a minute for the second side.   While I write exact temps, what you do depends upon the thickness of your steaks, the temperature of your grill, etc.  A Maverick or other thermometer is a pretty good guide, although a poke test still works well.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Aussie
    Options
    bboulier said:
    On a reverse sear, I pull at 115.  I have foiled and not foiled.  After pulling, I let the temperature go up to about 400-450  or so.  If unfoiled, you probably need to grill direct for 2 minutes per side to reach 135.  If foiled, go 2 minutes for the first side and about a minute for the second side.   While I write exact temps, what you do depends upon the thickness of your steaks, the temperature of your grill, etc.  A Maverick or other thermometer is a pretty good guide, although a poke test still works well.
    My searing was happening at 600 dome, which you can probably tell from the pics. I'll give your 450 a shot next time.

The steaks were cut off the big end of the strip, next time I want to use the thinner end and cut them thicker.

thanks
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Just my two cents, I like to sear as hot as possible.  The ones I did this weekend were seared at 700* (371*C) for 30-45 seconds per side.  A steakhouse broiler, which you're trying to replicate, could easily approach 1800*F.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Aussie
    Options
    I've just ordered my Umai Dry aged meat system, so I can see many reverse sears in my future! 
    MelSharples what internal temp do you bring them up to before searing?
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    I like medium rare:115, then rest while it comes to temp, then fire away.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like medium rare:115, then rest while it comes to temp, then fire away.
    With Mel on this, I would add to rest the steak on a rack over a plate, not on a plate - direct contact sucks the juice right out of the meat. Foil tent is ideal to keep it warm and help the catty over, To speed the Maillard reaction, I dab dry the surface right before the sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!