Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

table top ideas

Options
I bought the bge cypress table but would like to cover the top with something. Want something easy to clean,stain resistant and last a long time. Don't have a lot of money to invest in this but do want something nice.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Check with a granite or corian fabricator.  You can probably buy off cuts for a song.  My preference would be granite.  With finished edges, and a hole cut, you may be still looking at a couple of hundred.  

Just a thought - make a deal with the boss man to cater a staff lunch for his guys.
    Phoenix 
  • scottcrazydog
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The lunch for the guys is a good idea
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited May 2015
    Options
    How about a laminate top with finished wood edges around the surface?  Easy to clean and should save a few dollars.  You wouldn't want to put any hot grill accessories on top as it would melt though 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You could also consider some kind of tile, such as granite tiles.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Why not sheet aluminum bend the edges to the table top cut the opening a little smaller and use snips to cut slots to the right size.  This will allow you to roll the edge over for a nice rounded appearance.  Easy to clean and should last.     
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    This is tile on top of a table
  • BigGreenGiant
    Options
    My local granite dealer was not so nice for pricing scrap pieces.
    was told i still had to pay per foot regardless if it was a scrap or not

good luck
    im doing the same thing now
  • blasting
    edited May 2015
    Options

good luck
    First off, welcome to the forum.

Try checking with the fabricators instead of the dealer.  Their material has already been paid for once by the original customer.  They are more likely to let it go cheaper.  They will want their time paid for to finish the edges and cut the hole.  You can save $ by not having them polish the hole cut out.  
    Phoenix 
  • -Jas-
    -Jas- Posts: 22
    Options

good luck
    Same thing here, for a granite 3'x3' section and a 261/4" circle it was $575 plus tax.  I think Ill move to blue stone pavers my step dad has around  has and find a way to seal it.  Free is the deal there.  
  • blasting
    Options
    I think you guys may be coming across like retail customers.  I'd approach them with "Hey, not sure if this idea is overkill or doable, but I was wondering if you have a scrap piece I could pay you to edge for a little project of mine..."

I would also make it clear that you are not looking for them to deliver or install it - and you are taking all liability for measurements.   

I used to do business with these fabricators on a daily basis so I'm trying to help - hopefully I'm not coming across like a know it all.
    Phoenix 
  • VitiminJ
    VitiminJ Posts: 7
    Options
    I bought a 24" x 24" tile from a liquidator store for $5. I love it. It covers most of my table top and keeps the grease off of the wood. I'm glad I put something down, and the tile can easily be wiped off.