Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo2 Extender w/ D-ring cooking grid

Options
fljoemon
fljoemon Posts: 757
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
I was excited when I saw that the PSWoo2 Extender was available again at the Ceramic Grill Store (http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html). Last time they had it, they ran out of it real fast and it took a while for Tom to restock it. It arrived yesterday and I decided to cook couple of pizzas just using the Extender first.

First cook with the extender was pizza tonight ...

Pappa Murphy's pre-made piza - Gourmet vegetable & Fennel Sausage Pizzas

Perfect crust and pizza cooked real well at 475 - 500 degrees. 

Very happy with the new rig .. It is very stable and I am looking forward to cooking multiple items on the Large BGE. I love the sliding part of the D shaped cooking grid on top that allows access to the food below on the standard cooking grid. IMHO a very good addition if you already have a PSWoo2.
LBGE & Mini
Orlando, FL

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thanks so much. You just made up my mind. I just wanted to see a picture of it in action. Only question I had is would it be possible to use a spider and stone, then regular grid on ring then pswoo without the platesetter then the extension?  Like forca possible tri-level?  I didnt really figure theres enuf room between the bottom of the woo and the top grid, but just a thought. 

Little Rock, AR

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @fljoemon ... would you mind measuring from the table top to the top of the sliding D-ring?  Looking for the height above the 18" grid on the Woo.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @fljoemon ... would you mind measuring from the table top to the top of the sliding D-ring?  Looking for the height above the 18" grid on the Woo.

Per the link provided by @FLJoemon ,

"The Extender's height is approximately 4 inches above the felt line and 3.5” above the CI grid."

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/pswoo2-ci-extender-16-d-grid-recommended/

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Want! 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Want! 
    I'm gonna one up ya. I'm gonna GET!!!

Little Rock, AR

• Jeepster47
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Sardonicus ... my PSWoo2 with grid (non-CI) is flush with the felt line.  Just want to verify that the lift is 3.5" from grid-top to grid-top.

• Sardonicus
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Sardonicus ... my PSWoo2 with grid (non-CI) is flush with the felt line.  Just want to verify that the lift is 3.5" from grid to grid.

Just ordered mine 10 minutes ago.

This will be my third - and I expect my last - grid extender.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Options
    Just ordered the combo. Thanks for the heads up. 
    Jax, FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Ok, someone please walk me thru this ... I have a PS Woo for my large egg, do I buy and use in addition or ?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Sardonicus
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Ok, someone please walk me thru this ... I have a PS Woo for my large egg, do I buy and use in addition or ?

@SoCalTim:

Not sure what you're asking.  We use the PS Woo and have ordered the extender to use in addition to the Woo for the extra grid space and for the convenience of the sliding D grid.

? Hope that addresses your question. ?

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Got it. I just went to the website. Saw the set up in action. I'm in. Now I gotta get rid of my Swing Grate. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • LukeGangloff
    LukeGangloff Posts: 18
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been looking at purchasing a Woo2. Does the stock BGE grid work w/ the Woo2 CI? I eventually want to get a cast iron grate but I want other accessories before purchasing a CI grate. I don't want to buy the Woo2 and a year from now have to buy the Woo2CI to go with my cast iron grate. Basically what I'm asking; Does the Woo2CI work w/ the stock grate also?
  • oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    Options
    I've been looking at purchasing a Woo2. Does the stock BGE grid work w/ the Woo2 CI? I eventually want to get a cast iron grate but I want other accessories before purchasing a CI grate. I don't want to buy the Woo2 and a year from now have to buy the Woo2CI to go with my cast iron grate. Basically what I'm asking; Does the Woo2CI work w/ the stock grate also?
    Absolutely.  That's what I'm rolling with because I thought I too might buy a CI grate at some point (I've since changed my mind and doubt I'll ever own a CI grate as I prefer CI pans & griddles but that's another story).
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • LukeGangloff
    Options
    Thanks for your followup @oldgeezeystax
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I'm just curious- do you have to have the Woo in place to use this, or will it just attach to the grid?  If you have a newish egg with the notches in the plate setter I would think you may not always want the Woo in.  With the plate setter in the notches it puts the main grid below the felt line thus giving you more room on top.  I would think this would be handy if you want to cook multiple levels of butts.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt I think if you want multi levels of butts you would be better off with an AR with an extender maybe using a spider with a 13" stone so u don't lose the lowest AR level to the oval stone that comes with the R&b combo. With an AR you don't use the plate setter, you use a non BGE stone as described above
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Looks like I'm gonna hafta pull out the credit card.  You guys are killin my retirement plans!!!  This would be a great set-up for the small for 2 levels of wings and such. Maybe Tom will make it happen.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Spend the kids inheritance!  Toughens em up!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    That pizza looks awesome!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Dobie
    Options
    What keeps the D grid from sliding around? 

Jacksonville FL
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    I'm just curious- do you have to have the Woo in place to use this, or will it just attach to the grid?  If you have a newish egg with the notches in the plate setter I would think you may not always want the Woo in.  With the plate setter in the notches it puts the main grid below the felt line thus giving you more room on top.  I would think this would be handy if you want to cook multiple levels of butts.  

@SmokeyPitt:  You could use the extender without the Woo, but probably wouldn't want to. 

Without the Woo, the bottom grid would rest on the fire ring.  Then, the D grid would only be 3.5" above that which would negate the convenience of sliding the grid out of the way to access the lower grid.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    Dobie said:
    What keeps the D grid from sliding around? 

The top of the extender is the "house" shaped bent stainless rod.  The D-grid has two fore-aft "rails" that fit just outside of the vertical sides of the extender's "house."  That prevents the D-grid from sliding side-to-side and allows it to slide fore-and-aft to access the food on the standard 18" grid.

The Woo extender uses the same D-grid as the AR extender.  The "house" shape of the Woo extender is very similar to the "house" shape of the AR extender.

• SoCalTim
    Options
    Just ordered it. $69.95 ... I have no idea how I'm gonna explain this one to the wife.
  • Sardonicus
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Just ordered it. $69.95 ... I have no idea how I'm gonna explain this one to the wife.

Uh oh.

I must've missed something. 

What, exactly, did you order @SoCalTim

I ordered what I thought was the extender including the D grid for $39.99.  (plus shipping, of course)

What did I miss?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Uh oh.

I must've missed something. 

What, exactly, did you order @SoCalTim

I ordered what I thought was the extender including the D grid for $39.99.  (plus shipping, of course)

What did I miss?

The D-Grid ... you needed to click the second option at the bottom which included the D-Grid for an extra $30.

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @jeepster47 ... I didn't want to mess us. I phoned my order in.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Sardonicus  .... btw, I see where you clicked on the off topic button my post, what's with that?
  • Dobie
    Options
    @jeepster47 I see that now, thanks.
    $84 delivered its pricey but the quality will be there. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Sardonicus
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Sardonicus  .... btw, I see where you clicked on the off topic button my post, what's with that?

No idea, @SoCalTimCompletely unintentional.

I believe I've corrected my error.