Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sorry but this is way off topic

Options
MaC122
MaC122 Posts: 797

the mayor is too scared to take her city back because it might offend someone. Say a prayer for the police and firefighters tonight

St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Too bad the Devastated thread got sub-zeroed.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    #firstresponders Agreed on all accounts. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Strong leadership is what's needed. Not some mamby-weak-scared-to-offend-anyone so called mayor.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm sorry, but a mayorship is too good for her, put her in congress so she can rightfully worry about reelection without the challenge of being a leader.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ahhh...there's no one I like better than a problem solver! 

So, if you were mayor, what would you do? Marshall law?  Replace the rubber bullets with hollow points?  Tanks!!?  Ban protesting? 

I love these hypotheticals, you know, because you're not the mayor and you're not going to get anyone else killed with your suggestions.  Escalation isn't just a way to get lazy people to the next level anymore.
    Options
    I use the Rudy Guliani method ... One brick, one rock gets thrown at an officer, we go in and take care of business. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    She's doing a fine job giving the hooligans space to destroy.  I wish they would come to Flint.  We have a lot of abandoned houses that need to be destroyed.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Options

Options

Options
    MaC122 said:

the mayor is too scared to take her city back because it might offend someone. Say a prayer for the police and firefighters tonight

Prayer might help, might not.

Not voting her back in for another term would be more effective.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Just being devil's advocate here, but if a policy to mitigate the original problem - seatbelt rule for transporting detainees - happened on the current mayor's watch, and she didn't transfer that detainee, it seems to me like something  stopping "nickle rides" happened under her watch.  Soooo.....that was bad?

Putin has tamed a Sharktopus!  Oh, wait...it's just a Great White (yawn!).
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    For the love of Christ, can someone please tell me how the mayor screwed the pooch on this?  Something, anything.  How could it be dealt with better, what bad decisions did she make, who is culpable for the thugs coming out and rioting? 

I see this mob mentality against her.  Maybe she deserves it, but I can't find any bad decision she made.  The city seemed to be pretty proactive about shutting down businesses and schools in anticipation of the unrest.  The police and fire departments are out in full force. 

So Guliani would fix this stuff right?  How?  I read the mayor's biography and history and I would think she would be a better public face to diffuse this than some hard-core motherf-cka that the thugs are going to hate even more.  The police can be hard core and take that rap, but escalation vs diffusing are two different paths.

So before you say something like you're a monday night quarterback, do some monday night quarterbacking and say anything, ANYTHING that needs to be improved from her perspective, since that's the focus of this. 

Sure, god bless and pray and all that for the police (even though a small minority of them got Baltimore into this) and the firemen, they'll have their work cut out for them, sadly.   But be constructive.  Thank you.  I'm just trying to read between the lines, because there's nothing substantial here so far.

edited April 2015
    Options
    Hell, @Eggcelsior works in the muck and keeps track of it.  I don't know anything about Baltimore except what I learned on the Wire or read on the news.  I guess all those that have called her out live there and have information.  Maybe Dylan has some insight on the mayor.  And if she sucks and has let this get out of hand, then she can be voted out.  What's fair is fair.  What's unfair is not having a reason (that you can say).
    Options
    I need to read up on this situation and I probably shouldn't commit,but I will say, Hope and prayer is not a course of action. Some kind of action needs to happen. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I can see both sides. While it sucks she's doing a controlled burn....same as furgeson. Why do think they put stripped down police cars on the street. 
    It really sucks for the business owners. What says black lives matter more than free tvs and liquor? How'd you like to have your business or property torched while the city sits on its hands? Big difference in protesting and trying to kill police officers. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Unfortunately in today's society, no one pays any attention to peaceful protests. People are peacefully protesting every day on the steps of the state capital and no one gives them the time of day. I doubt very seriously that police around the country would be lined up to buy body cameras if it had not been for Ferguson. Sadly, in our sensationalistic society, this behavior is the only one that gets noticed. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    I need to read up on this situation and I probably shouldn't commit,but I will say, Hope and prayer is not a course of action. Some kind of action needs to happen. 
    I agree. I don't know enough about what has happened to make an educated comment. Someone at work told me she said she gave them room to destroy. Not sure how true that is. If she said that, then I would have to think regardless of the context she was wrong. Then Again the person who explained that to me might have jumbled her words. @nolaegghead what say you?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • henapple
    Options
    @Chubbs. .. "We also gave those who wish to destroy space to do that, as well."
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:
    This is out of context.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here... http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/04/nonviolence-as-compliance/391640/
    When nonviolence is preached as an attempt to evade the repercussions of political brutality, it betrays itself. When nonviolence begins halfway through the war with the aggressor calling time out, it exposes itself as a ruse. When nonviolence is preached by the representatives of the state, while the state doles out heaps of violence to its citizens, it reveals itself to be a con. And none of this can mean that rioting or violence is "correct" or "wise," any more than a forest fire can be "correct" or "wise." Wisdom isn't the point tonight. Disrespect is. In this case, disrespect for the hollow law and failed order that so regularly disrespects the rioters themselves.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    Options
    henapple said:
    This is out of context.
    How so? That's exactly what she did. Not saying right or wrong. I can post her own speech. 
  • henapple
    Options
    @Eggcelsior. .... I’ve made it very clear that I work with the police, and instructed them to do everything that they could to make sure that the protesters could exercise their right to free speech. It’s a very delicate balancing act because while we tried to make sure they were protected from the cars and the other things that were going on, we gave those who wished to destroy space to do that, as well. And we worked very hard to keep that balance and to put ourselves in the best position to deescalate. And that’s what you saw.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2015
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I live under a rock sometimes.  I just learned about this late evening.  With that said, I do not know all the details exactly to form a great opinion, however the one statement that I did hear and read about was the mayors comment to give people their space.  Taken out of context?  It appears those understood it the way I do or did.  What do you do exactly NOLA?  Nip it in the bud quickly, that is what someone should do.  What is that exactly?  Call in the armed forces as soon as this crap starts to get it under control.  These people feel as if they can do what they want and when they want.  Tip toeing, which appears to be the way these days just don't cut the mustard.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is this the solution to their problem?!?!?!?!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    Options
    According to John six officers are found guilty without a trial so it's ok to burn chit down. It's ok to throw rock at innocent white people including a woman in a wheelchair. I don't agree with violence being heaped on anyone. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    There's not nearly as much public condemnation when white people riot over stupid crap. 
    http://www.salon.com/2014/12/02/11_moronic_reasons_white_people_have_rioted_partner/
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    All sports except....a pumpkin fest.