Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Grasshopper Learns from the Master

Options
CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
I had the amazing experience of apprenticing under @The Cen-Tex Smoker to cook a brisket today, he was incredibly generous sharing his advice and time. 

We we cooked an 11 lbs brisket; cooked in about 6 hours at 275 grate, rested three hours, and was spectacular. Literally not a dry bit on it. There is just no comparison to my previous efforts at brisket. I learned a ton from an acknowledged master, very fun time. 

Sorry the the pics don't come close to doing justice to the great result. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Good job!!! I want some... 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Good day today. Chalk one up for the good guys. Glad it worked out. Had fun spending some time with you and your family today. Tell Spidey and his sidekick the brisket man says hello!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    The master? Omg...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great, and wow that cooked fast.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great, and wow that cooked fast.
    It did. It was probably 8.5 lbs once we trimmed it up. Still fast though. it was CAB prime so it was heavily marbled. those usually roll a little faster.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    Any pearls of wisdom that you acquired from the Master that were different from your prior process that you can share?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That seems crazy fast 11# @ 6hrs. SRF, Prime or Choice?  @The Cen-Tex Smoker I normally go 235℉ on the Stoker. What will going 275℉ do for me VS 235℉?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL this was a CAB Prime. That was a lot hotter than I normally do...it also turned out a lot better, so I'm sticking with what worked for me. 

@lousubcap I learned a ton, but some of the things were: cook a bit hotter (275 grate), use less wood (but oak not pecan), get way more aggressive trimming before cooking, use butcher paper vs foil, and do a much longer rest (this one had three hours and was just right temp to serve). 
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Looks really good!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Well done!  I'd eat all of that.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    @CPARTX- thanks for the info.  And that is definitely a home-run.  I'm sure you enjoyed the eats!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Did you FTC for 3hrs?  Was they based on serving time or how did you know 3hr rest was right?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You did learn from the master. My wife says his brisket is the very best anywhere. I agree. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CPARKTX
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac we loosely wrapped in butcher paper, towels, put in cooler (so FTC with butcher paper instead of foil); Cen-Tex recommended at least an hour of rest, the exact length was driven by when we wanted to eat. At 3 hours it was plenty warm to eat and I could just handle by hand. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification.  Did you pull right when it probed like butter?  Did you let it rest before PTC or ďirectly in cooler after you pulled?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    You did learn from the master. My wife says his brisket is the very best anywhere. I agree. 
    Too kind. Thanks
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - I lightly tented it with foil for about 20 minutes before PTC, but that was just so Cen-Tex had a chance to see and not really by design.  I'm not sure it mattered. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification.  Did you pull right when it probed like butter?  Did you let it rest before PTC or ďirectly in cooler after you pulled?
    I wasn't there when he pulled it but it was creeping up to 205 so I told him to pull it and rest loosly tented in foil on his egg table until I got there. It probably sat out for 30 min or so. We were cooking hot so it came out of the stall and to temp pretty fast. I don't like to wrap right away when they are cooked hot. They tend to rise another 20 degrees or so when wrapped right away. I like to catch them on the way down a little but still hot enough to hold for hours in the cooler. I think we hit this one pretty close. Being a prime I would guess that we went over by 5 degrees but mark said it was good so I'll take his word for it. I wasn't there for the unveiling. It was jiggly when we wrapped it though so I figure we were pretty close. 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Any particluar rub .. or was it just salt & pepper?
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Any particluar rub .. or was it just salt & pepper?
    i use a little granulated garlic too but salt and pepper is all you need. I honestly like Bad Byrons the best of any commercial rub for Briskets but I do my own S&P based rubs now.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Incredible!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    That's just awesome. To me, this is what makes the forum really special. People willing to not only offer advice on the forum, but literally come over and help in person. I have had the pleasure of meeting brother Tex, he is truly a great person. On a seperate note, the grub looks spectacular. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Spectacular. That's money right there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mickey said:
    +1. Mine says the same thing. She was super pissed when she didn't get any of the fabled Salado 2013 brisky, and I kept telling her how **** awesome it was. Even caliprince tried some this year.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    SGH said:
    That's just awesome. To me, this is what makes the forum really special. People willing to not only offer advice on the forum, but literally come over and help in person. I have had the pleasure of meeting brother Tex, he is truly a great person. On a seperate note, the grub looks spectacular. 
    No doubt, great forum and great people. That's why the Eggfests are so fun, it's getting to meet the people and share experiences. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Awesomeness all around =)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    That is exactly what I need. I really want to cook a brisket, but I have only had it a few times at a local BBQ joint. It was ok, but not stellar. I have nothing else to compare it to. I would love to cook one with a brisket veteran so I could finally experience brisket nirvana, and then I would have something to aim for every time. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @johnkitchens it was a great learning experience. You make it to any Eggfests?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    @johnkitchens it was a great learning experience. You make it to any Eggfests?
    I have never been to one. I would like to go to the North GA one in May, but I have a wedding I have to attend that day. I had rather go to the eggfest. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's