Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger help

Please I need some help here
Im cooking burgers with onion soup mix, fish oil and dukes mayo mixed in.
Couldnt fing the bread crumbs as a binder and mistakenly mixed 8 oz mayo into the patties instead of 4 like the recipe called for. Patties are mushy but should be great if I can keep them together. Should I put them in the freezer for a while to stiffen them up or go buy breadcrumbs and re patty them? 
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shane

Comments

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    It's not quite the same but I have used crushed saltine crackers before as a binder. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
     ritz or saltines would do the trick. 

Personally, I don't like a lot of filler stuff in my hamburgers.  Meatloaf - sparingly, but definitely not in a burger.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Par freeze 20-30 min
  • Personally, I try not to handle my meat too much. (Patty meat, when making burgers, Pervs!!).

For what you've got, I'd put it in a loaf pan and audible to a meat loaf. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @hapster. ...cheezits
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
     croutons... flavored or plain
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    I agree with onedbguru, you have crossed into the meatloaf realm. No bread? what are you using for buns? Chips, pork rinds, croutons, crackers will all work. Next time just stick with good ole beef and save the mayo for the bun.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    rosco said:
    ...you have crossed into the meatloaf realm. ...Next time just stick with good ole beef and save the mayo for the bun.
    We have embraced craft beers so whats wrong with craft burgers?

Personally I've mixed in a lot of different things into my hamburger patties (cheezits... gonna have to try that).  Try an envelope of ranch dressing mix some time.

I'm going to make a big leap here (cuz you don't have a tag line) but based on your "logo", you're local to San Diego... have you been to Slater's 50/50 down at Liberty Station and tried any of their burger concoctions?

NOTE: For those north or east of SoCal, Slater's 50/50 is a small chain that makes craft burgers and offers a huge selection of craft beers.  The 50/50 in their name is because their signature burger is 50% beef and 50% ground bacon.

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    @UncleFred I do love me some craft beers! Yes I have been to Slater's 50/50, it was okay but nothing like my homemade craft burger.

Where does one draw the line between a meatloaf sandwich and a good burger? I have a few meat grinders at home and have been grinding my own hamburger blends for many years. I have tried most cuts of beef and have settled on a equal blend of sirloin, brisket, and ox tail as my go to burger. If I don't feel up to the task of cutting the meat off of the ox tail bone I will substitute beef cheek or boneless short rib. When I bite into a nice burger I want to taste juicy, grassy, rich, beefy burger, not mayo and french onion soup mix.

We all have different tastes and preferences, that is what makes this forum great. We share ideas and learn new cooking techniques. If someone said lets go get a craft burger I would want a premium blend of ground beef and not a lot of fillers.
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    toasted bread... do crumbles.. Voila, You are welcome.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I yYOU Have Chow Main Noodles YOU Can Mix Them IN and the cool part is when you eat the burgers the noodles look like worms.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This may seem way too obvious...but what about just adding more beef to the mix? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The mayo will thicken and lose water

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Great comments you guys are a lot of help, mixed in saltines and par froze. They turned out awesome very moist. Try sometime mix in a few tbsp dukes mayo for moistness. Low or no sugar and vinegar based I believe.
    cheers to all
    shane