Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
I'm about to start my first brisket. Plan on salt and pepper as a simple rub. Cook at 225-250 depending on where the egg settles.  It's a 14lb packer. Just have a couple questions. I am looking for a general consensus. Do y'all inject or not? And do y'all put liquid such as apple juice in the drip pan?  Will update as the cook progresses. Thanks in advance. 
Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No and no. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    I myself do not do it for home cooking. However it will not a hurt a thing if you chose to try it.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Let me correct part of that. If I'm doing just a flat I will inject as I feel it really helps to keep it from drying out. Short of that I do not inject.

Status- Standing by.

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Thanks @SGH I was hoping you, caz, or cen tex would chime in. I have never cooked a brisket before so just trying to not screw it up too bad. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SGH
    Options
    My pleasure my friend. Again, I do not inject for home cooking, just don't see the need on a full packer. However when doing small flats I will inject. If your are wanting to inject to try a flavor profile, it won't hurt a thing. Good luck.

Status- Standing by.

• Hunter1881
    Options
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    I just put one on about 30 min ago. I don't use an injection on briskets, they have enough flavor on their own. I'll post some progress pics. You cooking it tonight?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Cen and I are from Texas, so it's pretty straight forward for us.

S&P and oak for smoke.  Not really much need to inject or a need to add humidity to the egg, so no liquid needed. Let the meat sing and don't over think it.  At the end of the day, remember it's just meat.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    @byrne092  I'm working on it now. Egg is heating. Planning on starting it at 0300. That is my intention anyway. 
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    @cazzy Thanks. I just hate to ruin a $50 dollar piece of meat. But I guess I will still have plenty of meat for chili. 
  • Hunter1881
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Trimmed and seasoned. Just waiting on temp to get stable.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Looks a little light on the rub.  At least try to fill in the spots missed.  Remember, this is a big hunk of meat so you can season it a lil heavy without fear of over-salting like chicken.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Slightly OT question for those in the know, but does JD barrel chunks count as oak, or does the barrel aging process change the flavor significantly enough that I need to hunt down some "true oak"?

looks good so far @Hunter1881
  • cazzy
    Options
    Slightly OT question for those in the know, but does JD barrel chunks count as oak, or does the barrel aging process change the flavor significantly enough that I need to hunt down some "true oak"?

I have never used them so I can't say.  I actually have 1/3 of a cord in my garage.  Before that, I used the following source for chunks, which I highly prefer over chips:

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/postoak.html

Another source for oak is Firecraft, but it's white oak and not post:

http://www.firecraft.com/product/smoke-me-bbq-wood-oak-wood-chunks/wood-chips-wood-chunks

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @cazzy I have the JD chunks, not the chips. They were a gift from an old drinking buddy. Thanks for the links! Firecraft is an old standby at this point but fruitawood is new to me. I'll have to get some and do a side by side comparison.... 
    also good to know post is preferable to white. I've got so many things to learn when it comes to smoking  :o
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Glad y'all are still up. My temp is 325. I started shutting down at 190. I have 2 squares on the screen and the daisy wheel at about a quarter of the way open. Any ideas?
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Oh and thanks 

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    cazzy said:

I have never used them so I can't say.  I actually have 1/3 of a cord in my garage.  Before that, I used the following source for chunks, which I highly prefer over chips:

http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/postoak.html

Another source for oak is Firecraft, but it's white oak and not post:

http://www.firecraft.com/product/smoke-me-bbq-wood-oak-wood-chunks/wood-chips-wood-chunks

I will have to give that post oak a try sometime soon. Thanks for the link. I've been using the same thing as Chilly, the JD chunks and some cherry. I think the results have been good, granted I've only cooked a handful of briskets so I still have much to learn.

Hunter1881 how is that brisket doin?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Not from Texas and no easy access to post oak or straight up oak for that matter-However, I do use the Jack Daniels chunks for brisket and the chips for light meat cooks.  Can't compare with the true oak but works for me.  Use what you've got and enjoy the process.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    @byrne092 its coming along. Right at 162 right now. I was planning on having it in the yeti by 1600 so I may have to wrap soon. I had issues with temp last night and so I was late getting it on the egg. 
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Finished product turned out well. Pulled at 206 at the thickest part of the flat. Everyone said it was great. I thought it was decent. But I am my worst critic. Definitely will do another one. I added more rub thanks to @cazzy for the recommendation. I also did not inject thanks to @SGH and @byrne092Thanks for the help guys.
  • SGH
    Options
    It looks amazing brother. Glad that it turned out.

Status- Standing by.

• Hunter1881
    Options
    Thanks man