Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: newest dinosaur that can't be found - a cordless phone with features! :OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
The other day our kitchen wall mounted cordless phone with answering machine and caller ID died. The satellite phone works but the phone on the wall is useless. I purchased a replacement battery, but even it would not take a charge. So today I went shopping and the only wall mountable phones now have reverted to a cord style!!! I shopped all over town and got frustrated! So I came home and pulled up Amazon! Again -  no wall mountables with the features I want! I can NOT believe this!!!

SORRY for the RANT!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    did you notice if they still have the ability to change out to the long cord, my 70's phone is acting up. my flip phone is useless in the house, i have to go up to the truck to use it, but the corded one always works
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    Options
    did you notice if they still have the ability to change out to the long cord, my 70's phone is acting up. my flip phone is useless in the house, i have to go up to the truck to use it, but the corded one always works
    I would just imagine so - I know packages of the long coiled wires were hanging on the racks next to them.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:

SORRY for the RANT!!!

Rant all that want. It's the only thing that keeps us sane at times. Well, drugs and booze help also  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fishlessman
    Options
    thats good, i think with all these high tech cell phones most dont buy the expensive inhouse phones any more. they still have people looking for the wired ones like me though. my house phone is set up for metered local calls only, similar to an old payphone =) if i called you with it i would have to call collect
    fukahwee maine

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    People still have land lines in homes?  =)
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    McStew said:
    against my will they cut the copper lines down on me and made me hook up to fiberoptics this week. so i have a landline with local calling only with fiberoptics =) that guy in pakistan can really hear me now
    fukahwee maine

• RRP
    Options
    McStew said:
    I hear you - but I have the package deal coming and going through that tiny cable buried in the ground - that's my lifeline to the Internet, Television and Telephone. Wind storms don't blow over buried cables!  ;)
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    McStew said:
    I'm now 12 years with no land lines. Use cable for my internet.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'm guessing it's due to the fact the "cordless" phones are now just wireless phones. I have a landline through my cable service. Granted, Comcast is hot, stinking, putrid, sewage-filled garbage... but I have an alarm system through it and a couple dead spots in my house that don't affect it like my cell phone.
  • RRP
    Options
    I do have another plausible theory - which may even explain why my phone is now history. As a wall unit without a cord I can't tell you how many times we have bumped into it and it has fallen to the floor. And is always bounces twice!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, is this what you're looking for? Found it at Best Buy but no pic so I searched for the model # and found it at Amazon ($62). Best Buy is cheaper ($50).

http://www.amazon.com/AT-EL52303-Digital-Cordless-Answering/dp/B00EFESEOQ

Wall mountable base unit
    Base + 2 remotes, expandable to 5 total
    Speakerphone
    Caller ID
    Answering machine w/ remote access

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Ron, is this what you're looking for? Found it at Best Buy but no pic so I searched for the model # and found it at Amazon ($62). Best Buy is cheaper ($50).

http://www.amazon.com/AT-EL52303-Digital-Cordless-Answering/dp/B00EFESEOQ

Wall mountable base unit
    Base + 2 remotes, expandable to 5 total
    Speakerphone
    Caller ID
    Answering machine w/ remote access
    Yes - THANK YOU!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Lots of stores sell that one, including Walmart ($50).

I started looking here... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/telephones-communications/cordless-phones/abcat0802001.c?id=abcat0802001 and just picked one.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @RRP ,

I bought this one last year. Pretty sure that all the handsets including the main one can be wall mounted.

Check amazon for Panasonic KX-TGE275S Link2Cell

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    McStew said:
    I hear you - but I have the package deal coming and going through that tiny cable buried in the ground - that's my lifeline to the Internet, Television and Telephone. Wind storms don't blow over buried cables!  ;)
    I still have a landline, and quite often during power failures, my 2-wire landline still works even though cable is down.  A burglar can cut the power to my house, and the burglar alarm will go off and still be able to call the monitoring station over the landline.  I laugh at the ads for "smart homes" where you can lock your house, change your thermometer settings, etc, from a "smart phone".
    My thoughts, what a stupid thing to do, wire your house so that some hack can turn off your burglar alarm and cameras and unlock the front door their smart phone.  My home is more secure knowing it can't be hacked.  You can't unlock my doors and you can't control the burglar alarm remotely.  As long as I'm smart enough to lock up my house when I leave and set my alarm system, my house is SMART. Secure from Maniacs And their Radio Telephones.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They can tap your phone line, then cut if from the house.  Takes about a minute.  Get a cellular modem for the alarm.
    Options
    They can tap your phone line, then cut if from the house.  Takes about a minute.  Get a cellular modem for the alarm.
    Box is alarmed, can't cut my phone line before the alarm goes off unless you know where to dig.  That takes more than a minute.  And cell coverage at my house stinks, wouldn't be reliable for a burglar alarm call.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Then you're set.
    Options
    RRP said:
    The other day our kitchen wall mounted cordless phone with answering machine and caller ID died. ...

Oh, I get it.  I thought that since your phone died no one could call you.  And the dinosaur that couldn't be found reference was to you ... how silly of me.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Zmokin - homes have been robbed way before smart phones/locks/alarms. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    caliking said:
    @Zmokin - homes have been robbed way before smart phones/locks/alarms. 
    I'm not saying my home is 100% burglar proof, but there is no way in heck I am going to decrease it's security by making it vulnerable to a hacker with an iphone.  I prefer the thiefs make ample physical damage getting into my home so I have proof of a break-in.  I also don't want my alarm system to be defeated by a hacker, I want the thing to go off and do it's thing.  I've had the cops called by my monitoring agency because the idiot telephone lineman ignored the alarm warning on the box when he came to install a new service without scheduling his arrival with us first.  that is how I know it works for a fact.

• RRP
    Options
    Lots of stores sell that one, including Walmart ($50).

I started looking here... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/telephones-communications/cordless-phones/abcat0802001.c?id=abcat0802001 and just picked one.
    Again I thank you, Michael. I picked it up at Best Buy today for $49.99. Interesting conversation there though - the price on the shelf said $69.99 so I took it to the counter and said "your internet price says $49.99. He scanned the box and it came up $49.99. I said the shelf price says $69.99 and his reply??? "oh, we just never bother to change those shelf tags"  :o