Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody ever inject a raw pork butt with maple syrup?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
That injection kicks a ham through the goalposts, but I wonder if it would work for a butt. Opinions or experience appreciated!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never even owned an injector. I'm going in the opposite direction with butts. The last couple, I haven't even used a rub! Just a little s&p and smoke. Mighty tasty!

The syrup does sound good on a butt though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    RRP said:
    That injection kicks a ham through the goalposts, but I wonder if it would work for a butt. Opinions or experience appreciated!
    No, but you certainly have my attention. I can only imagine that it would be fantastic. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Well, @RRP, I've got a couple of butts to do this weekend for a party.....  I'll give it a try.  Don't know if my regular 1.5 inch long medical-grade needles will be enough; might need to order some bigger.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would maybe thin it down a little with water to make it flow better?  I put maple syrup in my brine I used to cure my ham butt for Easter and injected it into all the fat layers and around the bone.   I also added some rub too for a sweet and savory taste to the pork.  It was awesome and I will be doing that again.  Go for it @RRP.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I picked this up from the inter-webs some time ago, think it is Chris Lilly's (That's what it says on the recipe card but no idea who he is) the recipe calls for white sugar, but I have used maple syrup and honey. Could not tell the honey from the sugar, but as you note the maple syrup was quite noticeable. As the injection is heated to dissolve things it injects at room temp very easily. 

For about an 8# butt:

90ml Apple juice

60ml Water

60ml white sugar or maple syrup or honey

30ml Salt

15ml Worcestershire sauce

(15ml=1 Tbs for those who are non-metric)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'm non-metric, but medicine forces my hand sometimes....  You say 90ml and I instantly see syringes!!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• RRP
    Options
    I'm non-metric, but medicine forces my hand sometimes....  You say 90ml and I instantly see syringes!!!!!
    LOL - for all practical purposes 30ml = 1 oz. While the actual conversion is 29.57 I say 30 is close enough! HTH
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Well, @RRP, I've got a couple of butts to do this weekend for a party.....  I'll give it a try.  Don't know if my regular 1.5 inch long medical-grade needles will be enough; might need to order some bigger.
    @DaveRichardson I used 16G blunt fill needles from work but it didn't work too well as it easily clogged. You really want the ones with a solid tip and the pore on the side.
  • RRP
    Options

@DaveRichardson I used 16G blunt fill needles from work but it didn't work too well as it easily clogged. You really want the ones with a solid tip and the pore on the side.
    Absolutely agree!!! Those simple, cheap ones are merely sharp tubes and clog easily as they take a core sample of meat!
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RRP said:

Absolutely agree!!! Those simple, cheap ones are merely sharp tubes and clog easily as they take a core sample of meat!
    Made me think of 'Wicked Tuna' core sample...  lol
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Well @DaveRichardson, the injectors do look like giant syringes that you would use for irrigating a wound.  I also thing of this clip from Cannonball Run.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85PcMJ9D8X0
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.