Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned beef

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
pastrami.jpg
<p />Somehow I think the pot of simmering water might render fat better than 4 hours at low roast on egg? Flavor was fantastic but texture chewey. Not much collagen melting going on but it might not be possible with this cut of cured meat.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Charbon,
    what was the internal when you took it off the grill, the ones ive cooked took more like 8/9 hours to reach 170. 170 if you want pastrami sandwiches and higher if your slicing thicker for a smoked corned beef dinner. also, it looks thicker than the brisket cuts i see around here, was it made from a brisket

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    fishlessman, off at 150 degrees. I didn't think you had to go long like pork butt with these. Does the meat eventually get tender? This was a thick cut flat corned beef brisket. It may have balled itself up getting tough and onery. Taste was worth another try.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Charbon,
    its more simalar to a brisket cook, for pastrami where you are going to slice real thin it can be on the tougher side 165-170 internal, but if your going to eat it served like a brisket you have to get it up to atleast the mid 180's. they are too salty for me to eat like a brisket and the long cook seems to intensify the saltyness near the surface.i have seen on another forum were they boil the corned beef for a while and then smoke it, but if im going for the long low and slow i would stick with the plain brisket not corned.if you ever find corned beef ribs, stay away from them, they are the only thing that ive ever cooked on the egg that went straight into the trash

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Butch M
    Butch M Posts: 52
    Options
    Charbon,[p]We have done several corned beefs on our large egg and they have all turned out very tender. While I am not an expert, I believe you should have cooked it longer. I always let mine go to an internal temperature between 170 and 180 which usually take 8 to 10 hours, depending upon size. The last time it was done a couple of hours before we were ready to eat, so I wrapped it in aluminum foil which made it very moist and tender. My wife said she thinks it was better prepared this way. I hope this helps
    Butch M

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    Options
    Charbon, it would also help the tenderness to cut "against' the grain, rather than "with" the grain. This cut, as mentioned below, needs at least 165° and up to be any good.