Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Kissed Sockeye

stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
It's that time of year again. Slightly overdone, but it's the first fish cook this year and salmon is forgiving. Seasoned with BGE Kodiak River and black pepper. Added a few apple chips for a touch of smoke. Grilled direct at about 400° for about 14 minutes (2 minutes too long). Made up some boxed Red Lobster biscuits and a side salad. Yum. 

P

T

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Don't think I've ever had sockeye, but I'd tear that up!
  • stemc33
    Don't think I've ever had sockeye, but I'd tear that up!
    Personally, it's my favorite. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Looks awesome.  Nice work. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Salmon on the Egg is such a winner, nice cook!
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Looks damn good from here. Lucky you, nice meal. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    OK, you have earned an honorary B.C. citizenship, the Best Place on Earth - sockeye is King (see what I did there).
    Nice job! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Very nice cook, and again, welcome back @stemc33

@theyolksonyou you really need to find some sockeye, especially if you've been eating Atlantic or farm raised.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks great. It's easy to overshoot temp  on fish in general. No worries you'll nail it on the next one man. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Yep.  Nicely done.  I've been knee deep in that species of fish back in my commercial fishing days. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• stemc33
    Legume said:
    Very nice cook, and again, welcome back @stemc33

@theyolksonyou you really need to find some sockeye, especially if you've been eating Atlantic or farm raised.
    Thanks @Legume and it feels good to be back.
    I'm with @Legume on this one @theyolksonyou. I will never willingly eat farm raised fish. Wild fish taste better and are safer for you and the environment.  
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • I have some in the freezer I can't wait to bust out this week. Solid cook 
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • stemc33
    edited April 2015

Looks great. It's easy to overshoot temp  on fish in general. No worries you'll nail it on the next one man. 
    You're not kidding, fish cooks so fast. That's why I stick to the fattiest fish when I'm cooking. There's a good margin for error without screwing up. Sockeye is like the pork butt for fish.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It looks spectacular brother stem. Salmon is one of my favorites off of the egg. Got to ask, how did you like the RL biscuits? I can eat them by the truck loads. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've never been a huge fan of salmon. Sure, I'll eat it (especially if it's fresh wild caught). Maybe because the farm raised with dyes etc has saturated the market. I rather throw down a few more bones for fresh wild caught than chince and get the latter. There's a huge difference in quality. I really like my family recipe of salmon patties and grilled salmon with rosemary is good. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    salmon patties 
    These^^^^^^^ are some of my favorites as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Thanks @SGH. The best part of going to Red Lobster is the biscuits. The box RL biscuits are good. Simple to make and easy to time the finish so they're hot and buttery when the fish is done. I put them in the oven a few minutes before the fish goes on and they finish at the same time. Timing the sides is sometimes challenging for me unless I'm cooking big cuts of meat that can rest while the sides are prepared. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,546
    Wow I just realized what we have been missing..Your posts...Awesome pics.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    That looks so amazing!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• stemc33
    Wow I just realized what we have been missing..Your posts...Awesome pics.
    Thanks guys. 
    @johnmitchell, I just realized in the last few days what I was missing....the forum posts and pics
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks perfect from here.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Awesome cook .. this is the time of the year our Costco gets the Sockeye .. been waiting for it .. what kind of a cooking wire mesh are you using? 
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Here comes the fresh salmon!!! I have only a couple filets in the freezer. The Foodsaver has kept them in GREAT condition, but I'm definitely ready for fresh. I haven't eaten at a RL for years, but may need to try the biscuits...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • stemc33
    fljoemon said:
    Awesome cook .. this is the time of the year our Costco gets the Sockeye .. been waiting for it .. what kind of a cooking wire mesh are you using? 
    Thanks @fljoemon, the mesh is disposable expanded aluminum I get from Albertsons or Walmart in the BBQ section. Even though they're disposable, I get several uses out of them. If I'm cooking a whole fillet, I'll place another mesh on top when I flip the fish. If I'm just eggin' portions, I'll use a spatula. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming