Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Five-Spice Chicken Wings and ABTs - First timer (Lot's of Pictures)

Options
Twas a beautiful day in the second largest city in Maryland so I figured I'd fire up the egg.  I have done a handfull or so of cooks on the egg hadn't tackled the classic wings & ABTs, today was the day.  Went super simple with the ABTs: jalapeno, cream cheese, bacon, dizzydust.  For the wings I used one of my all time favorite recipes, if you give it a try, make the soy-lime dipping sauce too and thank me later.  

Went indirect 375.  I need to check my thermo or go a little lower next time, a few wings were a burnt and the ABTs finished 10 minutes or so earlier than the wings (SWMBO was getting hangry so it worked out just fine).  Maybe next time I'll try 350 or so.

And the pictures...

Obligatory adult beverage (moscow mule) and 'gar during setup:

O's, Stroh's, and Natty Boh's while the temp stabilizes

Toasted Anise for the chickens

Loaded up

Finished product

Close up

Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Now that's a strong start-you have set your personal bar quite high:)   Enjoy your BGE and the forum.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Nice bounce-back win today. Meal looks great too!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Nice looking meal
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice!

Options
    Home run! Looks like a great day for you! Enjoy. 
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Thanks everyone. 

Nice bounce-back win today. Meal looks great too!
    Yes indeed.  I loved every second of Ortiz getting pegged trying to stretch a double off the monster.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done, sir! Thanks for the link. We like 5 spice, so I will give these a try some time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    That looks awesome!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Nom nom
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks good
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Super cook
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Looks great, that chicken recipe sounds really good, I'll have to try that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Nicely done!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Chetscapes
    Chetscapes Posts: 121
    Options
    Nicely done neighbor. 
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Look really really good!
    McKinney, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Judging from the cook and the beverage and choice of inhaler you will fit in well here. Nicely done!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Very nice!
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub brother. Solid all the way around.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DMW said:
    Looks great, that chicken recipe sounds really good, I'll have to try that.
    @DMW You won't regret it friend, I've made it for friends/family a bunch and have only gotten rave reviews.

Nicely done neighbor. 
    @Chetscapes where ya hailing from?  

Much thanks to everyone else.  I've been on a bunch of forums in my day and I love the positivity here.  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Meal looks really good! Welcome as well, always nice to see another MD egger around.

It looks like you may have had some wings that were hanging over the indirect piece (back left specifically) - were those also the burnt ones?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That chicken looks and sounds awesome- bookmarked! 

I honestly didn't know Strohs was still around.  I haven't seen it in 30 years.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Yeah the ones on the edge were definitely the burnt ones.  Should I try and keep them as close to the center as possible?  Even letting them touch?  

Also, I rubbed the grate down with a little vegetable oil on some foil but it apparently wasn't enough as some of the wings stuck a bit.  Should I spay the gate down next time?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    yep - I'd eat every bit of that.  nicely done
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Those wings look amazing!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Yeah the ones on the edge were definitely the burnt ones.  Should I try and keep them as close to the center as possible?  Even letting them touch?  

Also, I rubbed the grate down with a little vegetable oil on some foil but it apparently wasn't enough as some of the wings stuck a bit.  Should I spay the gate down next time?

I think that having them touch would extend your cooking time a little, just knowing that the ones exposed to the hot air coming around the indirect piece will cook quicker can let you know to move them around so the same wings don't get exposed like that for the full time.

Also, don't forget that the higher up in the dome you go, the warmer it gets.  On my large, dome temp runs about 25 degrees higher than the grate.

I usually use a paper towel to oil the grate, once done it can go into a ziplock and then I'll use one to start my fire on a later cook.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD