Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Apple pellets for smoking.

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
I got a great deal on a ripped and tattered bag of Apple pellets. 
It says on the bag- good for any pellet grill.  
Can they be used for cold smoking? Pork butts? Etc?

I'm assuming they will be fine. It says on the bag that is 100 pure wood. No additives etc. 
just wanted to know if I was correct or if anyone else's has experience using them in that manner. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I hear they work well scattered throughout the lump. I have a huge bag I haven't tried yet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I use them in an A-Maze-N Smoker to do nuts, cheese, etc. all the time.  They work great.  Haven't tried in a hot cook, but I can't see why not.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    I use them in an A-Maze-N Smoker to do nuts, cheese, etc. all the time.  They work great.  Haven't tried in a hot cook, but I can't see why not.
    I threw the left overs from my A-Maze-N smoker into the egg and they did work. I thought they would just burn up!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Can they be used for cold smoking? Pork butts? Etc?
    Yes sir, they sure can. Most of the big name pellets are a great source for a very clean smoke. I can't speak for all brands, but again most of the ones manufactured state side are almost 100% wood. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hondabbq
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys. 

Made 25 lbs of sausages yesterday 

I put put 15 lbs of Polish sausage in the smoker with the pellets. 

Packaged up 10 lbs of Jalapeño and Cheddar sausage.
  • hondabbq
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I used the pellets for smoking the Polish sausage. They turned out great. I put them on for 4 hours with the AMNPS.
    I will give them a test on some other items like ribs etc.
    Either way I cant really go wrong, I paid $20 for 40 lbs of pellets.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Many if not most are hardwood mixes that are comprised primarily of oak with a percentage of whatever flavor they are claimed to be. Not necessarily bad but glad you did not pay a premium price for them. I have used some of the mixes and they do work okay. If you are going to have to pay a top dollar price make sure you are getting what you pay for.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    Options
    They work pretty well. I have a funny story. A couple weeks ago me and my son were going to some butts and he thought he would help me prepare since he was home from school early. He put about 3 cups of pellets to soak in water. Needless to say I had  wet sawdust. I fried it out and it worked ok for the next couple of cooks.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini