Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-tomatoes in a bucket?????

last year someone posted a tomato growing contraption using two five gallon buckets. I am trying to find this as I want to make a few for my FIL so he can have his own tomato plants this year. 

I I remember it involved two buckets, some stones, and some PVC pipe. 

Thanks

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Close but someone posted something last year where you cut the bottom off of one bucket flipped it upside down and there was a piece of pvc pipe to water them. 
  • Firemanyz
    Bump I never was able to find the link to what I was looking for
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I think what you're looking for is a self watering setup where the top bucket has a hole in the bottom, a smaller basket or planter to raise it a bit and some wicking material to move the water up.  
  • Firemanyz
    Yes it was something like that. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    This came to mind. Some friends did this a few years ago and really enjoyed the process. 

DIY Self-Watering Containers

Materials
    2 5-gallon buckets that have not previously contained chemicals
    1 plastic funnel

Tools
    Drill with a 1⁄4-inch bit
    Saber saw

Instructions
    1. Fit one bucket inside the other bucket. The space between the bucket bottoms is the reservoir.

2. Mark an oblong hole in the side of the outer bucket about 1 inch high and 2 inches long, so the top of the hole is even with the bottom of the inner bucket. Cut it out with the saber saw. This hole serves triple-duty as the fill hole, the overflow hole and the place to stick a finger to gauge how full the reservoir is.

3. Cut a hole in the bottom of the inner bucket large enough so the funnel’s spout will project into the reservoir all the way to the bottom.

4. If necessary, cut the bottom off the funnel so it is about 1⁄2 inch longer than the space between the bucket bottoms.

5. Drill a dozen or so holes at random in the bottom of the inner bucket.

6. Fit the inner bucket into the outer bucket; insert the funnel. Fill the top bucket with moist container soil, making sure that the funnel is filled, but not packed, with soil. Fill the reservoir, and you’re ready to plant!

7. You can find kits at Gardener’s Supply to insert into any fairly large (15 to 20 quarts or more) round container to create a self-watering container with a 4-quart reservoir. Be sure to make an overflow hole in the container if it doesn’t already have one.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Firemanyz
    Thanks this is very similar to what I remember someone posting last spring. I do believe I will be trying this. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I'm glad you raised this, I had forgotten about it and I think I'll setup a couple for my daughter who won't remember to water regularly otherwise.