Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Tee Ball Coach

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
Well I signed my 6 year old son up a month a few weeks ago to play tee ball and they said they needed coaches, so I volunteered.   My dad and brothers coached and did well so I hope I got the knack too.  Tomorrow is our first practice and last week at our coaches meeting I was able to pick the Royals as our team.  There can only be 2 teams of each team and I got the second choice of the Royals before anyone else.  I just hope I do a good job and the have fun and learn something.  It is going to be interesting to say the least.  Play Ball and LET'S GO ROYALS!!!
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Just be patient with the little ones! I have coached girls basketball for 15 years, it is a blast! The little ones are the most fun, most of them have no clue what they are doing and that's the best part. By the end of the season, you will see how much they have improved, and that's what brings the most joy! Have fun my friend!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just focus on teaching the kids fundementals and how to play the game.   That comes first and if you happen to win...that is just a bonus.

You see a lot off tee ball coaches put the fastest kid on the mound and field every ball....then run the ball to first.  That is a train wreck waiting to happen and isn't how the game should be played. Rotate everyone and have them make the throws, cover their zones, back each other up and to communicate.  Another move I have seen several coaches do is they teach their kids to make a big circle around the catcher to score. This obviously isn't legal but these coaches only care about winning a tee ball game.  Sorry for the rant but this is kind of a pet peeve of mine.  Tee ball is all about building a foundation that can be grown into a skillset and an understanding of the game.

Have fun...both you and the kids!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Bullchit...work the hell out of them. If someone doesn't cry it's not a good game.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I cached t-ball a few years ago and now assistant coach on my sons rookie team.  Its fun and sometimes you feel bad for some of the kids that dont have any athletic ability or have never been shown anything.  The ones that improve make it worth coaching.  I still see the kids I coached a few years ago and they always stop and say hello - That makes me feel like I made an impact and helped those kids out.

We rotated each kid in different positions each inning and rotated the batting order so every played everywhere and batted in the lineup everywhere.

Have fun - buy them ice cream.....

Garnerville, NY
  • chasw14
    chasw14 Posts: 31
    Options
    I coached 15-16 year old boys for 10 years and T-Ball for two years.  Teaching fundamentals to t-ball age kids is a great goal and was my goal going in.  Soon after seeing the skill level of the kids, yougoal will change to making the practices and games fun and keeping them safe.  Mainly teaching the direction you run the bases, that three outs are your half of an inning at bat, and to keep their eye on the ball in order to hit the ball not the tee.  Have fun, make it fun for them, and try to hit the ball to third base every at bat.  Your kids will get on base every time they can make the third baseman field the ball.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That's the best age. Been coaching my sons the last 9 years. My youngest is now in travel and I'm not a coach. Kills me. Enjoy it. 

The best is "coach, did we win?"

"no"

"OK, can we still go______ ". Mcdonalds swimming, ice cream....
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I loved coaching t-ball back in the day.  I coached a co-ed team and it was comical.  I always rotated the kids around positions too but never *made* a kid do something he/she didn't want to do.  What did they ALL want to do but one kid?  Catcher.  It cracked me up how they would BEG to do it but could barely even walk to the plate let alone bend over in all that gear and pick the ball up.  

Keep it fun but try to teach 'em something.  When you do, they will love it!  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    henapple said:
    Bullchit...work the hell out of them. If someone doesn't cry it's not a good game.
    You sure you are not a Canuck? that is exactly how we coach minor hockey, Vince Lombardi was a cream puff compared to most competitive minor hockey coaches. 

@Ladeback69 - enjoy the time with T-Ball, it is a blast. You go looking for the second baseman and he is in the outfield throwing the freshly cut grass around with your left fielder. Great memories. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My son was in coach pitch and went 22-0. We taught EVERY kid their job. 7 years olds were backing up the infield, could read signs...but ya gotta make it fun. I had more trouble with the parents. 
    I used to give them all nicknames and they loved it. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @henapple agree make it fun, but teach the game. Never too young to learn, but in t ball don't expect much. Particularly rec league. Around here rec  league is a baby sitter.  Kids who want to play are playing travel at 6. Sad but true. 
  • rontho
    rontho Posts: 109
    Options
    First meeting with team and parents I would meat (this is the egghead forum right?) with parents out of earshot of kids and tell them we are here for the kids to teach them basics and most of all have fun. If you don't like the way I coach I will be more than happy to relinquish the job to you. Never had anyone take me up on my offer 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    All about fundamentals. I coached basketball and softball for a number of years. Seems my teams were at their best when keeping things simple. 

Had an old school coach for baseball and his philosophy was "if they cannot score, they cannot win".  That comes down to fundamentals.  Catching and throwing. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I've been coaching travel girls basketball for a long time, and I've come to the conclusion that 90% of parents are idiots! They all think their kids are better than they are, and they all want more plying time.  Fundamentals come first, fundamentals come second and fundamentals come third. You do that and your teams will be competitive. As far as 6 year olds playing Tball just teach them which way to run to 1st base, keep you eye on the ball (at bat and in the field) and sit back and have fun. Where I'm from rec league sports rarely get more than one practice a week, hard to teach them a lot in that time. And last and most important make it fun! 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    In our league we don't keep score so the three outs is moot.   They all ate winners and all the teams get trophies at the end of the season.  Yes I will be teaching them the fundamentals and to have fun.  First thing we will have them do is some laps around the bases then go into how to throw, catch and field first.  This is my son's second year and he has some natural talent,  but doesn't stay as focused with Tee Ball like he does Taekwondo, but it will come as he gets older. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.