Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT! - Any other Hams (radio that is) on here? -OT!

Options
Just got my vanity callsign - AEØDF -. Only operating on 2 meter and 440 at present. Will be looking for a HF at the upcoming Junk in the Trunk swapmeet at Collins Radio parking lot in a couple of weeks. The next door neighbor gave me her fathers' HF antennas as there are no licensed amateurs in the family. I tried to buy her dad's Collins rig but it is still too dear to her to sell. 73
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    For many years was K4UNQ back in high school and interest waned. Licensed lapsed. I took the test a couple of years ago, studied for tech and passed the general as well. CW is slow-maybe fifteen on a good day. Played with QRP but the bug hasn't bitten again. When I renew license I will be eighty or so. I might decide to try again.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    N3ZKB here, let my license lapse back in 2007.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My journey to amateur was long and tortuous. I went to Tech School and came out with a 2nd class radiotel license. Later took the test and passed for 1st class and radar endorsement. Went to USAF and tended ground based radar. Worked in the business radio world for a while and then got into industrial maintenance. Let my license drop as I was no longer using it and it was expensive to renew back then. Retired and decided I would go after my Tech. Passed it and General first time up but missed Extra by 2 questions. Not too bad since I hadn't studied for AE. Hit the books again and passed one week later. Now working on learning code and getting my shack together. My big interest is building antennas and maybe resurrecting some tube gear as all my schooling was in that area. FETs were a brand new thing back then. I still have my Heathkit VTVM LOL.
    One of those no code guys ruining the hobby.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options

KI4BNH  nowadays,  an Extra-Lite (I was a Novice in my late teens & got credit for that whopping 5 -9 WPM  back when I tested, hence they call us extras who never passed 20WPM code "lites"  unofficially  (second class citizens  lol)   Used to be active in ARES  & community svc  but interest has waned a bit.   Beg  for that Collins gear... it's the Holy Grail of the classics 

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Renewed my license, just because.  Haven't used it since i stopped 4-wheeling off-road, but I still have my handheld radios.  Might get back into it when I retire as a hobby and/or to help out in search & rescue up in the mountains.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    KC4VAJ here, almost 25 years.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    @swordsmn

Beg  for that Collins gear... it's the Holy Grail of the classics.

I tried that, but she was welling up tears talking about Dad operating that gear.  He was Art Collins' favorite tech and worked on many green room projects with him directly including SSB. He is mentioned quite a few times in the book <Arthur Collins - Radio Wizard>. I wish I could have met him, but he passed away before I moved into the neighborhood. She did indicate I would get called if it was for sale, I hope that means first chance.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I'm bumping it to see if there are any new Hams around.

Just renewed W4MKH (General class) so I'm good for another 10 years. May go after my Extra later this year.

May be fun to sit around the egg during a low 'n slow while working some skip.

'73
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Resurrection indeed. 

I have been toying with the idea of getting one and getting some training. We got a few of those walkers that go on the same freqs but Inwould like to have a mobile and stationary one. 

A lot to learn though. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Why do you need training?  Isn't it just talking over the radio for miles and miles?  Not being an ass, just asking for the education...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I know you guys are talking about ham radios and licenses. But to this day some 41 or 42 years later I still know my legal CB license code by heart! That was back before "rubber ducky" and all that "handle crap" took over the air waves! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Kd5eva.  Lapsed.  We have computers and cell phones now.  Cool though.  
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    Why do you need training?  Isn't it just talking over the radio for miles and miles?  Not being an ass, just asking for the education...
    Ham radio is not really the same thing as CB radio.

The frequency bands used by hams are regulated by international treaties so there are some licensing requirements and technical and operational expectations.

You can learn more about it here - http://www.arrl.org/

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I cramed for a few days and passed the test.  It's pretty easy.
    Options
    KG5FKY The frequency band used in the trackers for our high power rockets requires a license. I play around with the repeater towers sometimes just for kicks. It's nice when bad weather hits. I can monitor storm chasers and the National Weather Service guys as they get news. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Me too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Technician class?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited February 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know you guys are talking about ham radios and licenses. But to this day some 41 or 42 years later I still know my legal CB license code by heart! That was back before "rubber ducky" and all that "handle crap" took over the air waves! 
    Haven't thought of or needed this in over 40 years...KAUE9965.  Bunch of dorks.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Agreed but in the unlikely event that this whole "infrastructure" thing goes tits up...I'd like a backup plan for a phone call. 

How else will will I get my @nolaegghead smartass entertainment at 0200 if there is no internet. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Agreed but in the unlikely event that this whole "infrastructure" thing goes tits up...I'd like a backup plan for a phone call. 

How else will will I get my @nolaegghead smartass entertainment at 0200 if there is no internet. 
    If society collapses, I still have some radios.  So will others.
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Technician class?
    Yep. NEVER was interested in learning morse.

Good. I refuse to live in a post apocalyptic world where I can't figure out how to dry age squirrel loins, mitigate smoke output during long smokes to avoid marauders, or if people are still complaining about Royal Oak when zombies are running rampant. 

South of Nashville, TN

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Haven't thought of or needed this in over 40 years...KAUE9965.  Bunch of dorks.
    LOL - I know! But at that time I was surrounded by "law abiding citizens" who would have strung me up using my standing wave meter cables. Actually I made good friends to this very day by loaning out, or explaining how to properly use that standing wave meter, or even working that "magic" myself for some 10 thumb friends! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Good. I refuse to live in a post apocalyptic world where I can't figure out how to dry age squirrel loins, mitigate smoke output during long smokes to avoid marauders, or if people are still complaining about Royal Oak when zombies are running rampant. 
    I agree, fully.  This is why I print every page of this forum and bind it in binders (not of the female type) for the post apocalyptic, (and seemingly more probable) world. 

In reality, we would quickly be identified as a food source in said post apocalyptic world, and would be involved in constant gun battles with neighbors. 
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Technician class?
    They dropped the Morse requirement for licenses 10 years or so ago.

I always thought that every license class should still at least have to be able to pass a 5 wpm test otherwise hams were just CB'ers. :)

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Technician class?
    They dropped the Morse requirement for licenses 10 years or so ago.

I always thought that every license class should still at least have to be able to pass a 5 wpm test otherwise hams were just CB'ers. :)
    Didn't know that.  Back in '98, it was only not a requirement for technician's.
    Got my first  CB back in 1974 though I had been involved with Ham radio for several years at that time.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @HeavyG Thanks, I have some reading to do.  Didn't realize thy were international...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Took the exam three times, back when you had to go to an FCC office to take it.
    Tech in 1977, Advanced in 1979, Extra in 1980. Theory wasn't hard, but getting my code speed up to 20 wpm was a bear.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    kg4wmu here.  wanted to talk to the world about 10 years ago but the interested has since faded.  Still pull out the HT from time to time and see whats going on.  Just a tech.  maybe someday I'll get the passion to study up for the general.
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia