Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accidentally let BGE hit 450 degrees for Pork Shoulder

Options
odie91
odie91 Posts: 541
edited April 2015 in Pork
Got a good 5 hours or so at 225, then accidentally let the grill get to 400 when i fell asleep.   Temp of butt when i came to was 180 (i'm guessing it was at 400 for 1 hour).  Lowered temp to 350 and waiting for IT to hit 195.  

How will this affect my meat?    Mainly concerned if it will dry out.   Using for pulled pork if it matters.

Edit:  Grid temp was probably closer to 425-450.   Also it's an 8lb butt.

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Do you have a good dripping pan underneath it? If so you can fill it with cold water in attempt to bring the temp down. Also you can try some injecting to help re moisten the meat. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My guess is you'll be fine.  That's a pretty bullet-proof piece of meat with lots of internal fat to keep it moist.  I'll bet the bark will be tremendous.
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Ruined! completey ruined... You can send the disaster to me at the railyard in Muscle Shoals, AL.

Should be fine...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    I did that also. I basted it every hour after that and foil wrapped , was fine.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Did you start with liquid in the pan?
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Did you start with liquid in the pan?
    yes
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    You will be fine- forgiving piece of meat. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Plenty of people turbo them at that temp the whole time
    Greensboro, NC
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    It is not possible to dry out pork butt
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I think you will be ok.  My egg only went 20° and we're done quicker than I thought they would be.  You don't really need a water pan with the Egg.  It holds in the moisture quite well.  The water acts as a heat sink and when it runs out the temp will shoot up.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    No issues with the temp spike-You may want to sort out how it got away from you for lessons learned and follow-on cooks.  BTW-the water is a heat sink.  It greatly moderates the actual temp ( as long as there is water in the pan the temp around the pan is about 100*C) .  Once the water evaporates then the BGE temp will rise to wherever the vents are set for a "no water cook".  
    For the finish-go with "when the bone pulls clean" as the best indicator.  Generally around 200-205*F.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Ruined! completey ruined... You can send the disaster to me at the railyard in Muscle Shoals, AL.

Should be fine...
    I agree, totally ruined.  I can properly dispose of the toxic hazardous waste.
    Please ship it to my home address via refrigerated truck so as not to further contaminate the environment.  I have the proper biological organisms that can process that ruined slab o' pork into waste that can then be safely disposed of via the public sewer system. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother the short time above 400 will do nothing detrimental. Nothing. I have cooked buts at 425 from take off to touch down on my egg with spectacular results. I bet you can not tell any difference in it and the ones you have cooked before. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Send it here and I will perform a optopcy to figure out the cause of death. Will be just fine.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin