Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

timing question

I've only ever done one hunk o meat at a time.  One chicken, one butt, one brisket.  Based on previous cooks, my butts smoke at 250 for about 1.7 hours per pound.  I'll do a 10 pound butt in 17 hours.  I'm considering doing 2 (maybe 3) 5 lb butts.  Would I time them according to the individual weight, or collective weight?  10 lbs of butt goes 17 hours, would two (or three) 5 pounders go for 17 hours, or 8 hours?  It's probably a silly question, but I really don't know.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I would plan it for the single largest butt. The others are along for the ride. IF they finish early (note, I said IF), you can Foil them, wrap in Towels and keep them in a Cooler (FTC) until the last one is done.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I would plan it for the single largest butt. The others are along for the ride. IF they finish early (note, I said IF), you can Foil them, wrap in Towels and keep them in a Cooler (FTC) until the last one is done.

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
  • You do need to make sure you have good air flow around each piece of meat you are cooking or the cooking time will increase. Rotate the pieces as you cook to insure you are getting good even bark on all sides.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA