Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

14# brisket help

I probably already know the answer but I need some confirmation. I haven't cooked one this large.

The largest I have cooked has been about 9-10lbs and what I normally do, once the internal gets to about 160-170 I put it in the drip pan with the drippings and some broth, cover with foil, bump the temp some and finish. All the previous have turned out really good. I usually run about 250 at the grid.

How long should I allow to get this thing done?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    I would suggest you take what you have learned from the 9-10 lb brisket cooks and extrapolate it to the 14 lb one you have.  While each brisket will cook at their own pace they will generally behave in the same fashion for the respective cook temperature. 
    Also, don't know the size of your BGE but if your brisket is too long, drape it over a foiled brick or inverted roast rack until shrinkage takes over and it fits flat.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks. I have the XL so I think its going to fit. The problem is, I haven't done one in a while and am just trying to make sure I am thinking correctly.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    I have never cooked a brisket in juice like that so don't know the speed difference but for me just letting them roll on the grate I allow for 12-15 hours depending on the size, flat vs packer, either doing burnt ends, etc. if finishes earl you can FTC until ready to slice. Good luck
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I have nothing to add to this thread but I like your avatar.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • great suggestion on the size @lousubcap - that's going in my cook notes for sure
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • I have nothing to add to this thread but I like your avatar.

Yours is pretty good too.