Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hooked on the Reverse sear!

Options
Not sure if I have said this yet, 100% hooked on this now. Loving the CI. Thats it, thats all, short and sweet. Have a great week evertyone! (And still waiting for my PS for MM)

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Well, You have got yourself some top notch eats there! I would pay handsomely for a meal of that caliber. Bravo, Bravo! Man the char is phenomenal!
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Beautiful sear!
    What temperature do bring the egg to when heating up your CI?
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • jstnezell
    jstnezell Posts: 62
    Options
    looks great, I'm a big fan of the CI reverse sear also... love the char!
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Beautiful sear!
    What temperature do bring the egg to when heating up your CI?
    550 - 700. These were at 700, 
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    700 shooowee that's hot!

So the process is:
    1. ~250 raised direct until a certain temp below your desired temp
    2. Pull and tent
    3. Put CI in egg and raise temp to 550-700
    4. Pat meat dry and sear briefly on each side?
    I want to do this for the first time soon but want to make sure I'm thinking about it correctly.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Looking good! I started searing mine in a CI after seeing one of your previous posts. I love the nice crust it produces. 
    Costco strip Loins?
    GWN
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    700 shooowee that's hot!

So the process is:
    1. ~250 raised direct until a certain temp below your desired temp
    2. Pull and tent
    3. Put CI in egg and raise temp to 550-700
    4. Pat meat dry and sear briefly on each side?
    I want to do this for the first time soon but want to make sure I'm thinking about it correctly.
    Correct, and although its raised direct, I always have spuds or corn on the lower rack, so its more of an indirect anyways. I don't pat dry though, maybe I should, but I just use course salt and pepper, a tiny bit of garlic powder (the wife likes it), I know patting it dry will give it a bit more sear, but I seem to get enough, and I dont want to pat any of the flavor off. And I dont wrap them, I just stick them on a plate in a warming drawer till the Egg is ready, doesn't take long. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Looking good! I started searing mine in a CI after seeing one of your previous posts. I love the nice crust it produces. 
    Costco strip Loins?
    Devon IGA, the butcher there is great to us, I can text him and he will have anything ready for me to pick up, special cuts, weekends or week days. Never had an issue there at all. great staff. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Always nice when you have that option. 
    GWN
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    What temp do you pull them before the sear?
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    What temp do you pull them before the sear?
    ~110 - 115 usually, then 90 seconds per side for the sear, I got that off here, and it has worked out perfect every time.  
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options

I did a reverse sear a couple of weeks ago.  I got adventurous since it was just me, and I threw the steak right on the coals to finish the sear.  Turned out awesome.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    kthacher said:

I did a reverse sear a couple of weeks ago.  I got adventurous since it was just me, and I threw the steak right on the coals to finish the sear.  Turned out awesome.
    I need to try the caveman style but get too nervous that I'll ruin the steak. haha
  • oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Are you using any fat on the CI (oil/ghee/etc)?  I feel like everything will smoke at that temp...
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    VERY NICE, very similar to what I do (no platesetter) for my reverse sear:

1) Egg @ 250F w/ cast iron griddle on factory level grate
    2) Insert grid extender (directly over cast iron griddle) 
    3) Place steak on top of grid extender (so griddle below blocks direct flame AKA indirect) place some aluminum foil on griddle to catch any drips
    4) Remove steak once internal temp is ~115F . . . tent
    5) Remove raised grid, open egg 100% until dome temp reads around 600F 
    6) Sear on hot cast iron griddle 90 secs a side, pull (*optional - add butter and fresh herbs . . baste during sear)

This method is nice for two reasons:
    1) no need to mess with platesetter 
    2) cast iron stays in the whole time so reaches SEAR temp fast
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    I am still testing the best time to season?  Seems like most season for the indirect cook . . dry . . then sear without re-season?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    Are you using any fat on the CI (oil/ghee/etc)?  I feel like everything will smoke at that temp...
    Nothing, i rubbed a little oil on it before the first use, and honestly it stays in the egg and I have not cleaned or added anything to it, I just fire it up, and what ever fat is in there is in there. Last time I did use some paper towel and gave it a wipe when it was hot. Thats about it. 
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options

NDG said:
    I am still testing the best time to season?  Seems like most season for the indirect cook . . dry . . then sear without re-season?
    I season before hand, and no re-seasoning before the sear. 
  • NDG
    Options
    Got it.  This is my fav way to do steak.  IMO, reverse sear all in the BGE is better than Sous Vide and Sear.
    Columbus, OH

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info!  Now all I need is a steak.... =)
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    So what is the advantage of the reverse sear?
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    So what is the advantage of the reverse sear?
    It cooks the meat the same doneness throughout the inside.  You need to try it if you haven't! :-)
  • tfhanson
    Options
    I am new to the BGE, got mine for my birthday in Feb.  Have not tried a reverse sear, but I keep reading about it.  The guy who deliverd my egg and set it up said that was the only way to cook a steak.
  • SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    HOLY COW them's some good lookin' steaks!

I'm still trying to master reverse sear myself, but on a Mini it's challenging to say the least..(indirect, remove PS, put tiny little CI 10'' grid on, get to 600, etc).

Doable, but not consistent yet.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The benefits of reverse sear work best on thick steaks. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• AlbertaEgger
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    HOLY COW them's some good lookin' steaks!

I'm still trying to master reverse sear myself, but on a Mini it's challenging to say the least..(indirect, remove PS, put tiny little CI 10'' grid on, get to 600, etc).

Doable, but not consistent yet.
    I use a CI Skillet, love it. 

• tfhanson
    Options
    I've got the CI plate setter.  Just wondering if you use the PS for the low and slow part of the reverse sear, you could just flip it over when you raise the heat and do the reverse sear on the flip side of the CI PS once it gets up to heat?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    I've got the CI plate setter.  Just wondering if you use the PS for the low and slow part of the reverse sear, you could just flip it over when you raise the heat and do the reverse sear on the flip side of the CI PS once it gets up to heat?
    The CI setter has legs, if I'm thinking of the right one, why flip it? CI setter legs up, grid on the legs for the low part of the cook. Once IT is right, take the steaks off (@AlbertaEgger - you have success but as a suggestion I've found putting the steaks on a rack over a plate reduces the moisture that oozes out during the rest) foil or keep warm on a rack, remove the felt level grid, crank the egg and wait for the setter to give you a sear. No need to flip it at all. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AlbertaEgger
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    The CI setter has legs, if I'm thinking of the right one, why flip it? CI setter legs up, grid on the legs for the low part of the cook. Once IT is right, take the steaks off (@AlbertaEgger - you have success but as a suggestion I've found putting the steaks on a rack over a plate reduces the moisture that oozes out during the rest) foil or keep warm on a rack, remove the felt level grid, crank the egg and wait for the setter to give you a sear. No need to flip it at all. 

Almost always I have foiled spuds or corn under the steaks on the two tier rack, so its alsmost an indirect anyways, if we are not doing anything else then I have used the PS. I agree as well, no need to flip the CI PS if thats what you are using @tfhanson
  • tfhanson
    Options
    Sounds good then, I will try it this weekend and get back to y'all