Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
fergi
fergi Posts: 138
My second attempt at brisket is almost done but don't know what to do about temperature difference between the point and the flat. The flat is reading at about 200 but the point is more like 190. Should I cover the flat with foil?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    fergi said:
    My second attempt at brisket is almost done but don't know what to do about temperature difference between the point and the flat. The flat is reading at about 200 but the point is more like 190. Should I cover the flat with foil?
    Forget about temps and the point. How does the flat feel? Can you probe it like butter throughout? The point will finish up just fine at this point. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Depends on whether you are going to do anything with the point .. like cook it separately to make burnt ends. If you are making burnt ends, you are ready to take it out.

I always probe on the thickest part of the flat . .. I also do a toothpick test .. if it slides in and out like butter, its done. So put a toothpick in both the flat and point .. if it slides in and out without any resistance, your brisket is done!
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • fergi
    Options
    Parts of the point are extremely tender while the flat is more firm.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fergi
    Options
    It has cooked for 11 hours. I think I'm going to pull it. I overcooked my first one. Thanks for your input!

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @fergi-the brisket finish-line is all about feel in the thickest part of the flat as mentioned above.  If you don't get the "probes like buttah" feel then you are not there, regardless of temperature.  And the point is just along for the ride.  The higher fat content keeps it moist while waiting for the flat.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    You can always put it back on but it's got to be done.  
    Best - Jack
  • fergi
    Options
    Will the flat ever get as soft as the point? The point is very tender right now.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Stop touching the point. Ignore it, it will be fine. If the flat is firm and you can't slide a probe in and back out with almost no resistance, it's not done. Keep going.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    The flat is the lean part and the point the fatty part of the packer.  The flat will get tender but has a different texture.  Check out the Aaron Franklin brisket payoff video (linked here) for more info.  BTW-his whole series is worth a look.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fergi
    Options

Thanks much for your comments. I left it on until the flat was pretty tender and am much happier with this attempt. The brined half more moist and has a better smoke ring. Not a great deal of difference but enough that II will brine in future attempts. (The pic is inverted, The brined half is the thicker one on the right)

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fergi
    Options
    DMW said:
    Stop touching the point. Ignore it, it will be fine. If the flat is firm and you can't slide a probe in and back out with almost no resistance, it's not done. Keep going.

Thanks DMW for the direction about the point. I think something clicked when I came to that realization. Sorry for being so hard headed but I've committed to cook brisket for about 20 people in mid April and I feel much better about now.

lousubcap said:
    The flat is the lean part and the point the fatty part of the packer.  The flat will get tender but has a different texture.  Check out the Aaron Franklin brisket payoff video (linked here) for more info.  BTW-his whole series is worth a look.
    Thanks lousubcap for the video. I think you had given that to me once before. I followed his direction and it turned out well. This forum has been a great help to me. Thanks to all.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg