Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Cook #2- Pizza

Options
We are getting ready to go on vacation, so I'm doing my best to clean out the fridge and keep the egg running every day.

Saturday night cook was Pizza with whatever I could find in the fridge as fair game.  Pulled a couple dough balls out of the freezer and got the BGE dialed in to 500 with platesetter legs down, with "The Raiser" on top of that to hold up my pizza stone high up in the dome.

As the pizza stone was preheating, I prepared 2 Za's with Bacon, Pepperoni, Mushroom, and Red Onion.

Here is the finished pick of ZA #1 right before I pulled and fed to the wolves.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    nice work. Looks like perfect doneness.
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Nice!
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    Thanks guys!  I realize my cooks are pedestrian, but I need the post counts for the rub/sauce exchange!
  • nlovold
    Options
    i doubt i'll get to 250 posts before the cutoff, but I'll try I guess.
  • nlovold
    Options
    It's gonna take some work, and that is a fact.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Do you deliver??
    GWN
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Looking stellar!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • nlovold
    Options
    @Nanook Thanks for the interest! However Canada is not in my delivery zone because I simply cannot guarantee 30m or less.  I go to NW Ontario fairly often and could guarantee 2 years or less to there...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Great looking pies :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Great looking pies
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Nice!

Looks awesome, care to share the dough recipe?  Freezing dough for quick use later is very appealing to me.
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • nlovold
    Options
    Sure!  I can usually go from frozen dough, to cooked pizza in about 2 hours.  I have my dough all individually bagged and balled into an oiled quart ziplock.  I usually run under warm water if I want to quickly defrost, being careful not to kneed the dough too much, but flattening the ball into a disc.
  • nlovold
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use the Bobby Flay Pizza Dough Recipe that I have adapted slightly (see below).  I put my KitchenAid mixing bowl on a scale and dump everything in.  After the dough has formed a good semi-smooth ball in the KitchenAid mixer, I pour it out onto a floured cutting board and make 3 pizza balls for each batch. After making each dough ball tight and uniform, I toss it into a quart ziplock with a 1/4 t of EVOO and put them in the fridge to rise overnight.   I usually make a double or triple batch, and after an overnight rise in the fridge, use some of the fresh dough balls and put the rest into the freezer for later use. When defrosting the dough balls, I find that defrosting them at room temp or running the bagged dough under lukewarm tap water works best.  

17 oz. King Arthur Bread Flour (or about 41/2 cups)
    1 teaspoon of sugar
    about 3/4 envelope of instant dry yeast
    2 teaspoons of Kosher Salt
    12 oz of cool water. (I use water from my refrigerator door)
    2 T. of EVOO plus additional for the quart ziplock bags

After the dough has been split into ziplock bags and rested in the fridge overnight, I stretch them out onto a lightly floured piece of parchment, add toppings, and slide onto a pre-heated 500 deg. pizza stone on the Egg.