Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firecraft Dissapointment

Options
 I recently placed an order with Firecraft for the first time. Picked out ten items to get over the free shipping threshold. Website was easy to navigate and they had a pretty large selection. Got order confirmation. Then was advised that order had shipped. Three days later I get a list of emails from Firecraft. 5 in total. Each listing an item from my order that was backordered. Really? Three days later? And 5 out of 10 items? Sucks as one of the backordered items was intended for a gift. These out of stock items should be made clear at the time of purchase!
LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I agree they should tell you it's out of stock before the order is processed. With today's technology they should have the ability. With that being said, Firecraft is a stand up company. I'd call and voice your concerns. I know they like the feedback. 
    McKinney, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Agree with Lmidkiff.  Give them a call.  Bet you will be surprised.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

One thing to remember, the first warm weekend of March is the equivalent to "Black Friday" in the BBQ world......and the following 3-4 weeks are non stop.

If you look through their catalog, you'll see items produced by smaller companies, some of which may not prepare for the rush as well as others.  We start prepping and hoarding charcoal in November in preparation for spring.  Some people don't have money or space to sit on inventory for that long, they roll the dice that they'll be able to keep up in the spring.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    I did indeed send an email to service at Firecraft. And I do understand being out of product at times. 5 out of ten was still excessive IMO. But still not an issue if the out of stock situation was made known. We will see if they care with their response.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

Jim
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I experience the firecraft "backorder" as well.  Still waiting on my Peach Wood chunks that was ordered 2/11.  

I must say they have excellent service though . . never billed for it and returned my calls quickly and provided me with options.  Is what it is . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
    I did indeed send an email to service at Firecraft. And I do understand being out of product at times. 5 out of ten was still excessive IMO. But still not an issue if the out of stock situation was made known. We will see if they care with their response.

I'm sure they'll get back to you.

My point was that the fault may lie on the vendors and not the catalog.  Their purchase order system gives me a two week's to get product to them.  I always have it there within a week, but it's not their fault if I take three weeks.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Right there with ya...first order at firecraft and the damn Rockwood is backordered.  I guess I waited too long.

Would be nice if they updated their inventory.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Tried to buy KJ big joe from them placed the order and received a call a few days later, saying they were having trouble getting the KJ bid joe they actually offered to canceled the order, apologized and offered to ship me my other items free of charge ( was way under 100) .  In my case turned out to be the best thing that could of happened ended up with BGE xl. I appreciate their customer service people, they do a great job of updating you and trying to make things right.  They have a small town mentality when it comes to doing business...feel like they are the kind of company that would do things on a handshake 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Nothing but good experiences with them... Of course, I live about 10min away so I pick my orders up
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    It's frustrating. But if you call them, they'll work with you. My experience that happened this week with a Rockwood order in link below. @Cazzy, they really are good and will work with you. I agree with the catalog thing, but Ozark Oak is to blame for the Rockwood shortage not FireCraft. 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1179884/basques-sugar-maple-lump-charcoal#latest
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    My Rockwood order has also been on backorder. I had same frustration about placing order only to be later told about a 3-4 week expected delay in shipping. I have enough lump to get me by, but I was very tempted to cancel and get Fogo lump from Amazon Prime for basically same price.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Mines back ordered as well. They'll send it when they can--can't ship what they don't have yet!! :)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

Chillax guys......their restock will be delivered on Monday, and the next one is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday.  The PO's came in on Wed, we shipped on Thurs and Fri.  They're pretty quick to ship, so hopefully you'll all have it by the end of the week.

There is an unprecedented demand of Rockwood through FireCraft due to another brand disappearing on them a week before the busiest month of the year.  Most of those sales got shifted to us.  FireCraft's purchase order system, and our delivery schedule for them were not prepared for this.  Hopefully we can keep them stocked, but we have a lot of other dealers that all deserve the same level of service.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Im patiently waiting. I was getting a little concerned but happened upon 6 more bags of OO so I guess the backorder didnt affect me too much. But i look forward to trying the rockwood when I get it. 

Little Rock, AR

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @stlcharcoal ... Time to fire up that lonely kiln on the back fourty. :smiley: 
    With one mfg calling it quits, I'm sure you guys ARE smoking busy.

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Durangler said:
    @stlcharcoal ... Time to fire up that lonely kiln on the back fourty. :smiley: 
    With one mfg calling it quits, I'm sure you guys ARE smoking busy.

Doesn't work like that......need the wood first (which needs to dry out for 3-6 months prior to going into the kilns.) 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    LOL ... I know nothing about making charcoal. Thanks for the info.
     Glad ya'll are there, for sure!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Still waiting on two last backordered items. They did offer to allow me to cancel my backordered items. But I do indeed still want them, so I am just waiting. My big issue was not that things were out of stock. It was not stating this was the case at the time of the order. Actually informing of this three full days later. One item was supposed to be part of a gift. That timeline made things difficult on me. Just seems to me that inventory and ordering could easily be tied together for a business that does a huge percentage of their business mailorder.

Jim
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Hmm, just cleaned after a low and slow and came across a Rockwood rock. It may have weighed a 1/2 pound. Is that why they call it Rock Wood?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    Hmm, just cleaned after a low and slow and came across a Rockwood rock. It may have weighed a 1/2 pound. Is that why they call it Rock Wood?
    Yep, and that's also why the bags have 20.4-20.6# of charcoal in them......takes care of the occasional rock, machine error, etc.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Rockwood shipped today. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'd hate to be in the BBQ supply business this time of year.
    This is when all the normal people decide the weather has improved to where it is nice to cook outside. 
    I'll bet its 80 hour weeks for the next 5 or 6 weeks just to keep up with demand.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Ordered 5 bags of RW. said it was back ordered will be there on wed.  

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Still waiting on two last backordered items. They did offer to allow me to cancel my backordered items. But I do indeed still want them, so I am just waiting. My big issue was not that things were out of stock. It was not stating this was the case at the time of the order. Actually informing of this three full days later. One item was supposed to be part of a gift. That timeline made things difficult on me. Just seems to me that inventory and ordering could easily be tied together for a business that does a huge percentage of their business mailorder.

+1: Not a big deal, but Firecraft should be transparent about out of stock items at time of order. Great site, good product/prices, just a suggestion for improved customer service..

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• annjamaican
    Options
    Same issue here. I ordered a few bags of Rockwood and got notified they were back ordered. And it's not prime barbecue season so this doesn't make any sense to me. I wondered if they'd really ship the charcoal free or if they'd find some way to get out of it. It still shows in stock on their website and my card has been charged. 
    - Jamaican living in rural Western Washington
    - Got my first egg (XL) in October 2015
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Same issue here. I ordered a few bags of Rockwood and got notified they were back ordered. And it's not prime barbecue season so this doesn't make any sense to me. I wondered if they'd really ship the charcoal free or if they'd find some way to get out of it. It still shows in stock on their website and my card has been charged. 

There is no such thing and "not prime BBQ season" when it comes to BGE's and Firecraft.  Their busiest season starts in a few weeks.  :)

We have charcoal enroute to them, should be there on Wednesday.  They probably did have it in stock when you ordered, but with all the orders over the weekend it sounds like they ran out.  We fill their purchase orders right away, but if they get a ton of orders in the middle, they might be out for a day or two.  They're not screwing you out of your free shipping, you'll get it.  They sell tens of thousands of bags a year for us, plenty of which are shipped for free.  Sorry for the delay, feel free to call them if you have further issues--they are very responsive.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I have had great service from firecraft.  Placed an order on Saturday Oct 24th-shipped (free) Oct 26th arrived Oct 28.  (Order had five bags of Rockwood and some wood chunks.)  You are just seeing a blip with their inventory and they will make it right.  Solid company that values customer service-at least from my perspective. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The ol saying....you can't please everyone.
    speaking of firecraft that new USA made pellet grill looks nice. I'd consider it but I have 3 bge.
    Seattle, WA
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I think RW has been backordered everytime Ive ordered it from Firecraft.  They always send my other items (rubs, sauces, etc) within a day or two after the order and the backordered RW always comes earlier than they tell me.  I've never been charged for multiple shipments and never had anything but 100% excellent customer service from Firecraft.   Don't sweat it, just dont let your charcoal run out before you place your next order.  Anticipate it being a week or two out.   

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Maybe it's not prime barbecue season in Washington.  But around here prime season is just about to start.  Drier and cooler weather makes cooking outside much more pleasant than in July. I will be cooking on the egg much more often  for the next few months than I was for the past few.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.