Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Need to Destroy Some Documents OT

Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
Need to destroy some documents? I just cleaned out several years of sensitive financial documents. There were enough that they would overload my tiny shredder and I did not want to stand for a half hour at the office shredding personal document. Solution; put the pages in a five gallon jug and fill with hot water. Within a few minutes you can start to tear them to mush. Let sit for several hours and they really break up. Just dump in the garbage can. Want to go a step farther, set them out of the way in a dry place until the water evaporates. No one short of the CIA will get anything out of the resultant hard lump of paper.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Cool.  And simple.  I like it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I had to get rid of a lot of my Dad's stuff (or face some nasty taxes) and tried what you did but it didn't work as well. Tried bleach and all kinds of other stuff but it stayed legible. I am expecting a call from Revenue Canada at some point. No wait! Nobody on here from RevCan is there?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton
    LS, I wonder if some black clothing dye added to the mix would make it near impossible to recover.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• We are environmentally conscious here in Shangri-la.  Here's Wilma destroying  documents a couple of months ago.  My Dad was a paperwork horder.  Cleaning out his office, we found his tax return from 1959.

Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    LS, I wonder if some black clothing dye added to the mix would make it near impossible to recover.

Why didn't I think of that!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I had to get rid of a lot of my Dad's stuff (or face some nasty taxes) and tried what you did but it didn't work as well. Tried bleach and all kinds of other stuff but it stayed legible. I am expecting a call from Revenue Canada at some point. No wait! Nobody on here from RevCan is there?
    Yes Steven - we, like God, are everywhere......

My air tight EPA approved "shredder" is in action right now... Please note - it uses a Rutland.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Freddie, Mine too. He had a 20' X 30' room full of stuff. The association he worked for took a stacked cube van, maybe 18' long stacked to the rafters with technical stuff. I still have a ton left after 8 years of disposing.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• My Dad achieved the highest Masonic degree and put out a Masonic newsletter here in Michigan.  So he was quite busy hording much stuff!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven

My air tight EPA approved "shredder" is in action right now... Please note - it uses a Rutland.

Curse you Skiddy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Doc_Eggerton

If I do that in the fireplace it send ash all over the neighborhood.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Living out in the country, we have a burning barrel. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,166
    Hard to believe that no one has chimed in with a Lois Lerner/Hillary joke....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hard to believe that no one has chimed in with a Lois Lerner/Hillary joke....
    Yeah I was just going to say the "green" solution would be to simply scan and email to Hillary. They will never be seen again. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Little Steven said:
    I had to get rid of a lot of my Dad's stuff (or face some nasty taxes) and tried what you did but it didn't work as well. Tried bleach and all kinds of other stuff but it stayed legible. 
    Mix in a jar or two of your Italian crack aka La Bomba. Knowing what that stuff does to my southern region it would have to eat through your papers!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.