Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rusty Grate?

Options
Hi All - I just retrieved my egg from winder storage, only to find the stock grill and the cast iron for my LBGE pretty rusted up. Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of it?

Thx!

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Throw it in the egg with some high heat.  Once it cools rub it off then cook on it as normal.  You could put some oil on it afterwards if you wanted, but whatever you cook will probably square that away for you.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    About once a year I do a high temp clean then oil my CI grill other than that I just scrub it with a welders wire brush after a cook Eggie got snowed under this winter and when we finally got to him the grate wasn't rusty or moldy. He was alone in the snow fro about three months.

Many a day I looked out at the huge white pile I knew as Eggie and sobbed quietly. Eggie was under a 5 foot drift.
  • TorontoBBQer
    Options
    Thanks all. I will try a high heat clean.