Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Ideas on Cooking Crappie on the Egg

Options
I caught my limit of crappie today and I love them dredged in seasoned corn meal and fried, but I was wondering if anyone cooks crappie on their BGE.  Maybe blackened on CI?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Cast iron do and some oil. Fry those puppies up. Great eats there. Prolly my favorite fresh water eats. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'm hoping your limit wasn't three! 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Thanks (I think) for sharing those pictures!!! I really miss crappie! For years now we haven't been able to get to any good lakes with crappie holes! In fact years ago we became converts to blue gills and the hybrid red ear. But I grew up loving crappie and really miss that special taste. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Do you know anyone who would trade some walleye for them?   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    15 is the limit on Grand Lake.  It varies from lake to lake here in Oklahoma.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Most of my cooks are crappie. 

Oh, that crappie, fried. 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options

RRP said:
    Thanks (I think) for sharing those pictures!!! I really miss crappie! For years now we haven't been able to get to any good lakes with crappie holes! In fact years ago we became converts to blue gills and the hybrid red ear. But I grew up loving crappie and really miss that special taste. 
    Crappies my favorite fresh water fish, but I've never had walleye and I hear they are good too.  The spawn season is just getting started and I've limited out 3 times already this year.  I didn't catch my limit a single time last year.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    15 is the limit on Grand Lake.  It varies from lake to lake here in Oklahoma.
    It's 30 here in GA
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
     I love them dredged in seasoned corn meal and fried, 

You answered your question yourself. Fried is the way to go when it comes to panfish. To each his own but I prefer deep fried over pan fried. A 50/50 mix of flour and cornmeal that has been heavily seasoned works miracles on panfish. This is basically what commercial Fish Fry is. Fry them brother. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.