Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About how many hours per pound for a turbo butt?

Options
first time doing a turbo butt today. Planning on 350 but not quite sure of the timing. Wanting to serve around 7 tonight. Was going to plan for and hour per pound and cook until it cracks around 200-205. Thinking it might be a little less than an hour per pound and that leaves speed d FTC time. 

Am I way off?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas

Comments

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    how big is butt ?
    Gambrills,Maryland

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Go for an hour a pound. Set your target time an hour or two before your actual eat time just in case. A proper FTC will keep it super hot for at least 4 hours. 200 degrees is a guide. proper doneness is the probe test. Dont forget the pics
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    I was asking weight because I do mine low for an hour to get some more smoke in it and then ramp up temperature but you are on the right track at about 1 hour per pound.

Gambrills,Maryland

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Options
    Headed to Costco to get it now
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    I've been rocking turbo butts (thanks @mickey) and at 350 I will finish a 7lb bone-in less than 1 hour per/lb. If you want to feed people at 7, and it's a 7lb butt, I would get the egg started at 10 and put the butt on around 11 and finish around 5 r 6. FTC and you will be ready to pull when it's time to eat.
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone I want to try my first turbo butt tomorrow.  I'm not sure that I'm ready for an overnight cook yet.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    Thanks for the info everyone I want to try my first turbo butt tomorrow.  I'm not sure that I'm ready for an overnight cook yet.
    Hell, I am just too old for overnight cooks anymore. Turbo rules. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.