Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket comparison - brined vs unbrined

Options
fergi
fergi Posts: 138
I found this prime brisket at Costco and am going to follow Botch's suggestion and brine half and rub only on the other half. I intend to cut it along the line drawn in the picture below. Any suggestions before I get started?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

Comments

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    Interested seeing how it turns out
    Gambrills,Maryland

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I've never brined , if you do, with the grain..Brother Mixon brines, I say let the meat speak...@SGH has insight on this topic
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Anxious to hear the results!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    Keep us posted!  I'm about to do my first brisket in the next week or 2 so I'm excited to see what you think.
  • fergi
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just trimmed the brisket and cut it in half as depicted in the above pic. I got about 2 pounds of hard fat off the side pictured above. Is that normal for a 12 pound brisket?

I will let it brine for 24 hours while the other half sits wrapped in the refrigerator beside it. I will then rub both pieces and tie them back together before the cook. Anyone see any problems with this approach?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    That amount of fat while on the high side is within reason.  Hopefully you tried to retain around a 1/4" layer at the close of your efforts.  Never have brined a brisket or cut one in half but we will all learn from your endeavor.  And I would guess that tying it back together is about your best option right now.  But just an opinion...If looking for a good source for slicing a brisket, check out the Aaron Franklin video series.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fergi
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    That amount of fat while on the high side is within reason.  Hopefully you tried to retain around a 1/4" layer at the close of your efforts.  Never have brined a brisket or cut one in half but we will all learn from your endeavor.  And I would guess that tying it back together is about your best option right now.  But just an opinion...If looking for a good source for slicing a brisket, check out the Aaron Franklin video series.   
    Thanks for your comment lousubcap, this is only my second attempt at brisket and my first was not great. There was a lot of "hard" fat on one side but there is still a nice layer of softer fat on the other side.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• fergi
    Options
    I've cut the brisket in half and brined half of it in Oak Ridge BBQ's  "Game Changer" brine. The brined half gained 4 oz. which is equivalent to about 1/2 cup of water. I tied the halves back together an will cook them this evening.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Thanks for the update.  I'm sure this will be quite a learning eggsperience.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.