Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salado Pizza Pies

Options
I had a blast slinging pizza at Salado, but was too busy to chat with folks to answer questions like I would have liked. There are a million different pizza doughs, sauces, and pizza opinions, but here's what you tasted in Salado:

I use this dough recipe from Serious Eats:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html

I make it in my Cuisinart 14 cup Food Processor. I would scale it down if you have a smaller food processor. To make it easy to scale, I converted the recipe to weight:

630g flour (I used King Arthur Bread flour)
30g Morton Kosher salt
30g table sugar
1pkg yeast

I put a paper plate on my kitchen scale, then dump the dry ingredients on the plate, one ingrediant on top of another. Then take the plate of dry and dump it into the FP bowl. Pour 40g olive oil on top of the dry. Next...quickly dump 425g warm water into the food processor bowl, put the lid on and turn it on. Process for 20-30 seconds, then dump onto a floured work surface. Knead it a few times til smooth, then portion into 4 parts, rolling each of these into a ball. I find one batch of this dough makes four  13-14" thin-crust pizzas.

VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO NOT DRIZZLE WATER INTO PROCESSOR THROUGH THE FEED TUBE AS IT SPINS, AS THIS WILL ONLY BOG DOWN THE PROCESSOR AND YOUR DOUGH WILL NOT MIX! And your food processor makes funny acrid smells.

Dough can be used straight away, but the real flavor comes from a cold rise in the fridge. It's best after 3 days or so. The Salado dough was made Thursday night.

My sauce of choice is this Ultimate Pizza Sauce, recipe stolen here:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dads-ultimate-pizza-sauce/

I make a quadruple batch, portion into individual serving portions (1/3 cup) and freeze. I also use LOTS of garlic and red pepper flakes, because that's how I roll, dawg. It is very thick and rich, so a little goes a long way. For pizza toppings, I say less is better. About a gallon sized batch:

I found my sweet spot for pizza on the egg is 550 degrees. YMMV. these pies cook in about 6 minutes. I don't have a pic of my set-up, lots of people were interesed in that. I have my grid at felt level (using a Woo), plate setter legs down, then spacers (BGE feet, wadded up balls of tin foil, bones of my defeated enemies...) then the pizza stone. This puts the pie high up in the dome, so it gets lots of radiant heat to cook the top.

I keep an insulator handy...if the bottom is cooking too fast relative to the top, slip something between the pie and the stone to allow the top to catch up; like a pizza screen, another pizza stone, or I use the grid off of my small.

I cook on parchment paper, and leave it there the whole time. The exposed edges can burn and turn into charred airborn bad-flavor flakes, so I trim the corners, leaving one for a handle. The handle allows me to easily remove it, and provides a handle with which to spin it with. Since the egg tends to be hotter in the back, sometimes a 180 degree spin mid-cook is necc. I position the "handle" over one of the plate setter legs, to shield it from direct heat.

I also sprinkle a little kosher salt on the parchment paper before I put the dough on it. Makes a HUGE difference when you taste the pizza, try it, you won't be sorry. Also, it is best to make the pies quickly and get it on the egg quickly. If you leave the dough sitting there with sauce and ingredients on it, it can make the middle of the crust water logged, and soggy.

Hope someone finds this manifesto useful. Go cook some pies, turn up the Yakity Sax when they come off, and Mangia!

Greg

Comments