Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Buffalo

Options

Hey folks, I have some buffalo steaks, ground meat, and roast. I have cooked it several times and it comes out pretty good each time. I am trying to grill it in a way that leave it moist and not so touch. I am hunter so I am used to wild game taste and it doesn't bother me at all. But I am looking for some great recipes to help it our for family.   Any ideas?

Comments

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I wish I could help. I've never cooked Buffalo but on lean meat you might mix in some regular beef to increase the moisture. 
    McKinney, TX
  • flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    Options
    My best venison and Bison cooks
    were cubes done like this.  They stayed moist,tender and just like burnt ends.
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • biggin74
    biggin74 Posts: 37
    Options
    @flyer_egger is that like steak or backstrap or hindquarter?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The source of the bison can make some difference. If it has been raised on open range, it will tend to be tougher just because it had more exercise. But all of the bison I've had had a sweet taste, nothing I would consider gamey.

All of the meat is usually very lean. Burgers and steaks can be quickly cooked. Ground bison is improved, I think, by the addition of 1 packet of gelatin, liquified, mixed into 1 pound of the meat, and then chilled. Then the patties will retain more succulence, and get a little crisp on the outside.

The roasts can be difficult. The musculature is similar to cattle, but there seems to be at least twice as much connective tissue. I haven't cooked on in awhile, but at present I'd sous vide on for 3 days at 135F, and then sear. Previously, I had OK results by marinading the meat overnight.

I was never able to get very tender ribs, either back or short ribs. Tasted fine, just gave the jaw muscles a work out.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I have made bison short ribs using this recipe from Kevin Rathbun. I just substituted bison for beef and followed the recipe verbatim. They were superb. Very tender and moist. Perhaps you could use his techinques on other cuts of bison. 

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/keven-rathbun-SmokedBeefShortRibs.pdf