Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork loin kabobs on the egg with tostones and spicy cabbage

Options
thegooddocta
thegooddocta Posts: 264
edited March 2015 in Pork
Just a simple cook tonight... Made some pork loin kabobs on the egg - they're just hit with a mix of salt, pepper, turbinado sugar, cumin, chili powder and cayenne - bit of vegetable oil to make it stick. I went high heat (450F) since this was a lean cut of meat, and it worked - they came off nice and juicy (and the time was short enough that I didn't chat the sugar ;])! I also had some leftover spicy cabbage so I warmed that up on the stove top. On the side were some delicious tostones - I never find green plantains in the grocery store so these were a great treat for the wife and me!

Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI

Comments

• thegooddocta
    thegooddocta Posts: 264
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry the pics are out of order!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The kabobs look good, but talk to me about tostones!  Just smashed and fried in oil?
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    The kabobs look good, but talk to me about tostones!  Just smashed and fried in oil?
    Pretty much! It's important that you get green plantains (if they're yellow at all, they're going to be too sweet). Then peel and chop into 1 inch long chunks. Fry those chunks until they're lightly browned. Remove them from the oil and flatten them between waxed paper. Then return them to the oil for a quick second fry to brown them a bit more. Remove them to some paper towels and sprinkle with salt. They're awesome as a starch for the meal!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I love tostones. We always get either those or mariquitas when we head down I75 to hit the Cuban joint. With our Hispanic population it's not hard to find plantains, just never tried at home. Thanks.