Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New toys for the mini.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
I haven't got to cook in quite some time due to working long hours.  However I thought I would put a little of this money to good use and get the mini ready for when I'm home. Picked up a woo from the CGS, a couple of pizza stones from Amazon for indirect cooking (recommended by @Mickey) and a High Q Grate. Getting the mini tuned up and ready my friends. Now I just need some time off.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    All good stuff right there! Now get a Rutland from RRP and you'll be all set. The thing I hated about my stock gasket was that it hung over the inside edge of both the dome and the base by about a quarter inch making it a real pain to get the woo in and out. The grate would also interfere with the dome gasket with the woo in there unless it was perfectly centered. Now I have the Rutland installed and the whole set-up is pure money. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SGH
    minniemoh said:
    All good stuff right there! Now get a Rutland from RRP and you'll be all set. The thing I hated about my stock gasket was that it hung over the inside edge of both the dome and the base by about a quarter inch making it a real pain to get the woo in and out. The grate would also interfere with the dome gasket with the woo in there unless it was perfectly centered. Now I have the Rutland installed and the whole set-up is pure money. 
    Ron actually sent me a Rutland a few months ago. Have been working 7 days a week and haven't had time to install it though. That's fixing to change my friend. You are correct, the Rutland is a must. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited March 2015
    only three items to go brother. First a Mini Wok from the Wok Shop in San Francisco (say hello to Ms Chan for me), and a Lodge griddle Lodge
    http://www.missionrs.com/lodge-manufacturing-70gh2-cast-iron-griddle-9-1-4-inch-round-no-handle.html. That pic is the MM but same one for the Mini.
    And third a Carten:Egg Carten   / Scott Lewis  / 281.714.7009  
    Slewis87@msn.com...

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Ms Chan.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Don't be such a slacker. Time to get caught up... Look at all the time you saved by not coming to Salado.

• SGH
    @Mickey
    Brother you always was a big proponent of the mini. You are the reason I purchased one. That said, which do like best now, the mini or the mini max?

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    edited March 2015
    SGH said:
    @Mickey
    Brother you always was a big proponent of the mini. You are the reason I purchased one. That said, which do like best now, the mini or the mini max?
    I use the MM more here at the house. If i am traveling I would take the Mini. Will keep both. Have the same toys for both. The MM is heavy. I can't do it by myself and Linda can't pick her half up. The Mini I can do by myself. The Carten makes it easy. 

• Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Ms. Chan, awesome lady !
    Gambrills,Maryland

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited March 2015
    Nice new toys @SGH !  Hope you get the time to enjoy them soon.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Very nice Scottie! :smiley: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    *IF* I got more eggs, the Mini and Large would be the ones. Hey, the Medium might fit as well...

Nice addons, BTW.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    I bet that hi-que grate would fit on the top vent of a bigger egg.  Would work perfect for nuclear searing on the top.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Standard mini protocol, well done.
    Seattle, WA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    You'll find the HighQue makes an enormous difference with the mini.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    edited March 2015
    Nice! Got the same goodies for my mini not long ago. Thanks again to @Mickey for the guidance. Now, get to cooking!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    + 1 for the Hi Que grate! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    @SGH, I would have loved to have gotten a mini, but SWMBO said no, but yes to this.  It's called a Kahuna and does a decent job of cooking , but I know the mini would get up to temp faster and have more toys.  It is my weekday cooker for burgers, steaks, and chicken.  Gets to 400 in a little over 15 minutes.  The XL takes at least twice that and burns more lump.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    @SGH, I would have loved to have gotten a mini, but SWMBO said no, but yes to this.  It's called a Kahuna and does a decent job of cooking , but I know the mini would get up to temp faster and have more toys.  It is my weekday cooker for burgers, steaks, and chicken.  Gets to 400 in a little over 15 minutes.  The XL takes at least twice that and burns more lump.
    Dude, that's a very nice little rig!!

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    jlsm said:
    You'll find the HighQue makes an enormous difference with the mini.
    No doubt about it brother. I have one on my large as well. In the large, the time to temp difference was huge. The High Q is definitely the way to go!

Status- Standing by.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Maybe this is a dumb question but what is a HighQue and do I need it for my xl 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I've gotta get a highQ

XLBGE 
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    ryantt said:
    This is what they are talking about; http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Charcoal-Grate-Upgrade-X-Large/dp/B00J95T6SO
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Hey ... got a mini question. Just saw a brand new mini on CL for $275.00 ... gonna offer him $225 ... is that a fair price for the both of us?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    ryantt said:
    I have them for both of my larges. They let me get to temp very, very, fast. If you aren't in a big hurry and don't care how long it takes to get to temp you may not want one. Week night cooks after work are very rushed. I can get my grill on very fast now. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SoCalTim said:
    Hey ... got a mini question. Just saw a brand new mini on CL for $275.00 ... gonna offer him $225 ... is that a fair price for the both of us?
    225 is a real good deal for you. As far as a good deal for him, that just depends on how much he has tied up in it and how old it is. 

Status- Standing by.

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    SGH said:
    SoCalTim said:
    225 is a real good deal for you. As far as a good deal for him, that just depends on how much he has tied up in it and how old it is. 
    It's been on CL for 11 days. Assuming he just can't sell it. Oh- it's brand new, he posted a picture, it's still in the original boxes.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    If he will take 225, I wouldn't even bat a eye. I would scoop that right up.

Status- Standing by.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    SGH you should get plenty of use out of the new gear. Do you take the mini with you on your out of town work? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • SGH
    texaswig said:
    SGH you should get plenty of use out of the new gear. Do you take the mini with you on your out of town work? 
    I haven't had it real long. That said, if I'm forced to go out of town I will certainly take the little guy with me. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Looks like you're all set SGH
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio