Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-NY strip

Options
Phatchris
Phatchris Posts: 1,726
edited March 2015 in Beef
Doing them reverese sear 250 in the oven till 110IT, then seared in a CI skillet with butter till 125.

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    What is this "oven" you speak of?
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    What is this "oven" you speak of?
    I think by "oven" he means indirect. At least that's how I think of it.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great looking steak.  Those should be awesome!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Raised indirect?
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • Phatchris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sorry by oven I mean oven... No egg tonight that's why it's a bit OT

started with a wedge salad with blue cheese 
    then the steak
  • Phatchris
    Options
    My new favorite way to cook a really good quality steak without smoking the house out.
  • Phatchris
    Options
    ^other than on the egg of course :o
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Phat, I would devour that. Egged or not. Awesome job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great, crust and no overcook on the edges, perfect medium rare edge-to-edge.

How do you now smoke the house out when finishing on CI on the stove? I always set the smoke detectors off if I don't remember to disconnect them...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Phatchris
    Options
    @DMW I just open the kitchen window, put on the oven vent fan and it being such a quick sear of a minute or so a side it doesn't set off the alarms. I went to 115 in the oven, and the sear brought them to 125 after a 20 min rest.
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My vent hood works great over my range...won't smoke even when no windows are open.  @DMW does your vent circulate air or does it vaccum and dispense outside? Mine is the latter.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    My vent hood works great over my range...won't smoke even when no windows are open.  @DMW does your vent circulate air or does it vaccum and dispense outside? Mine is the latter.
    Nailed it, mine recirculates, does not exhaust.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    250F seems awfully low for baking a steak.  How long did they take to be ready for searing?
  • Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Options
    What a stupid way to ruin a steak.  If it ain't cooked on an Egg it ain't good.  Why would somebody post an oven cooked steak on a Big Green Egg forum?  Let's get with it! 
  • Phatchris
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Haley said:
    What a stupid way to ruin a steak.  If it ain't cooked on an Egg it ain't good.  Why would somebody post an oven cooked steak on a Big Green Egg forum?  Let's get with it! 
    I take it you've never been to a steakhouse? I love my egg, but personally love a CI seared steak just as much... BTW OT stands for off topic...and I think Lump imparts more flavors that could "ruin" a good steak than a convection oven...
  • Phatchris
    edited March 2015
    Options

njl said:
    250F seems awfully low for baking a steak.  How long did they take to be ready for searing?
    20 minutes to 115 or so, same idea as a reverse sear in the egg.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    That is the finest meal I could imagine. Loved the post!
    Judy in San Diego
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Haley said:
    Lol.  You rooks always make me laugh.  I always like when y'all finally start drinking different flavors of kool-aid.  The egg is good at everything, but great at nothing.  There are superior and easier cooking methods out there.  Best tool for the job and the egg is just another cooking tool for me and many others.
  • Haley
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been to a Steak house.  A kitchen oven and a cast iron fry pan won't copy it.  A Big Green Egg will though.  Post your cook on taste of home or something, :-).  They also have good cake recipes too. A steak is to be cooked on a live and real wood fire. That's what the Big Green Egg forum is all about. I love my Egg too, I use it to cook all my steak, unless I go to a Steak house. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Haley said:
    I have been to a Steak house.  A kitchen oven and a cast iron fry pan won't copy it.  A Big Green Egg is the next best thing.  Post your cook on taste of home or something, :-).  They also have good cake recipes too. A steak is to be cooked on a live and real wood fire. That's what the Big Green Egg forum is all about.
    Welcome to the forum, read some more posts in the OT section and loosen up. 
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Haley said:
    I have been to a Steak house.  A kitchen oven and a cast iron fry pan won't copy it.  A Big Green Egg is the next best thing.  Post your cook on taste of home or something, :-).  They also have good cake recipes too. A steak is to be cooked on a live and real wood fire. That's what the Big Green Egg forum is all about.
    Still waiting for a cook from you....a kitchen oven and a cast iron comes a lot closer to a steak cooked at a fine restaurant than the egg. I've posted many cooks, both on an off the egg in my short amount if time on this forum unlike a troll with a whopping 7 post in 19 months.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Haley said:
    I have been to a Steak house.  A kitchen oven and a cast iron fry pan won't copy it.  A Big Green Egg will though.  Post your cook on taste of home or something, :-).  They also have good cake recipes too. A steak is to be cooked on a live and real wood fire. That's what the Big Green Egg forum is all about. I love my Egg too, I use it to cook all my steak, unless I go to a Steak house. 
    Lump isn't real wood, just saying!   :tongue: 
  • njl
    Options
    Haley said:
    Some really nice steaks can be made using a CI pan, your stove top, and oven...no open fire required.  Some things are actually easier without the open fire.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163595/steak-but-not-on-the-egg
  • njl
    Options

cazzy said:
    Haley said:
    Actually, it was.  :)
  • cazzy
    Options
    njl said:

cazzy said:
    Haley said:
    Actually, it was.  :)
    I know what it was, but in its current state, it's no longer wood.  :)
  • Haley
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What ever ya think.  I just say, why post oven steak on a Big Green Egg forum. This troll will be cooking on his egg forever, don't need to brag and I use my oven for storage because it is just a kitchen ornament. Oh, by the way, did ya ruin that potato in your oven too? :-0
  • cazzy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Haley said:
    What ever ya think.  I just say, why post oven steak on a Big Green Egg forum. 
    Post something, then come talk.  Why post on a Big Green Egg forum if you don't egg?
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Nice eats
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Haley said:
    What ever ya think.  I just say, why post oven steak on a Big Green Egg forum. This troll will be cooking on his egg forever, don't need to brag and I use my oven for storage because it is just a kitchen ornament. Oh, by the way, did ya ruin that potato in your oven too? :-0
    Is this better?http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1173752/beef-throwdown#latest
  • Haley
    Options
    I will send you two words of advice, "keep practicing" ;-)