Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

will over-smoked bacon mellow over time like smoked cheese?

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,407
After curing 8 days, I smoked four half loin bacon yesterday.  Followed Ruhlman's, 2 basic cure and 2 savory.  Guess I went overboard with the smoking wood, about six small chunks, the sampler slices tasted too smoky, will it mellow after couple of weeks, like smoked cheese?

canuckland

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I overdid my first ever batch and just use it for seasoning beans. Never really mellowed. That said, the end pieces tend to be stronger than the middle. I'd try a piece from the middle after slicing. 
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Agreed.  The edges are way more smoky than the meat inside.  I also like to wrap it in cling wrap, and let it mellow for a couple days, up to a week before I slice it.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Canugghead
    Thanks.  True they were end pieces.  Wrapped and resting now, going to wait a few days before slicing.  Doesn't sting up the fridge like smoked cheese, which could mean it's not releasing absorbed smoke ;((
    canuckland
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    There is such a thing as oversmoked bacon ;) ? I love the double smoked bacon from our local butcher. Most store brand bacon has next to no smoke.
    Send it to me, to dispose of it, if it is too smokey. =)
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Did ruhlman write charcuterie?  I made some bacon once using the basic recipe from charcuterie and it was very smokey but also extremely salty.  I sliced it, then did several test pieces boiled for various amounts of time.  The time that worked best, I boiled all my slices for that amount of time.

it did a very good job of mellowing the smoke and the salt.  
  • Canugghead
    There is such a thing as oversmoked bacon ;) ? I love the double smoked bacon from our local butcher. Most store brand bacon has next to no smoke.
    Send it to me, to dispose of it, if it is too smokey. =)
    Haha, sure if you want to pay cross border shipping, it'll be well mellowed by the time you clear customs  =)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @pezking7p  yes Ruhlman did. I've done it several times before, not too salty since I usually rinse/soak for an hour before smoking. Also never too smoky before but this time I mistakenly used too many smoking chunks ;(
    canuckland
  • All the smoke is on the outside. You can actually rinse it right off. Run it under the sink or soak it in fresh water for an hour. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • pezking7p said:
    Did ruhlman write charcuterie?  I made some bacon once using the basic recipe from charcuterie and it was very smokey but also extremely salty.  I sliced it, then did several test pieces boiled for various amounts of time.  The time that worked best, I boiled all my slices for that amount of time.

it did a very good job of mellowing the smoke and the salt.  
    Agree. That book got me started but everything he does is too salty for me. And I'm a salt freak.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2015
    Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
    edit: I meant rinse and soak.
    canuckland
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    I just double  smoked 8 lbs of bellies this weekend. I went for a 6 hour cold smoke. I left it tin the fridge  for the last 2 days and I am slicing up today once it sets up a bit in the freezer. I did some preliminary slicing and the end was way over smoked. the next 6 slices were heavenly. I used Ruhlmans basic cure.
    the first time I went for 4 hours, and I thought it needed a bit more. I hear of guys going for 12+ hours. I think that's nuts. Too much for me.

I have never hot smoked like you did so to experience to add there.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    hondabbq said:
    I hear of guys going for 12+ hours. I think that's nuts. Too much for me.

Depends on the cold smoke generator. If using an AMS, they may be lighting one end for 12 hours. I have done 6 hours with both ends lit and that was a little much but I just soaked it for a bit and it was good. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2015
    I should have mentioned they were hot smoked at 200 till IT 150.  Two savory pieces at lower AR level were more smoky than the two sweet pieces at upper level. Thanks to everyone's advice, I rested them for 2.5 days, then soaked and rinsed them for 2 hours and 1 hour respectively.  Rested them again overnight and sliced them up, Voila! the ash tray smokiness is gone!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited March 2015
  • pezking7p
    pezking7p Posts: 132
    Yay!  After my initial quasi failure (over 2 years ago) I'm going to go at it again today.  Off to the butcher in a bit.  You've inspired me.  

• Canugghead
    Have fun, keep us posted.

Just picked up a 10.5 lb smoked ham, Easter special price devalued CAD 97 cents/lb.  Going to soak the crap (saltiness) out of it for hours before smoking =)   

canuckland
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I came across this thread since I'm about to smoke my first bacon tonight. I hear people saying they oversmoked it, I didn't known that was possible. Have y'all ever had or heard of Bentons Bacon from tn? That stuff will have your whole fridge smelling like a smokehouse and oh so delicious.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie