Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about cooking wings

Options

Last night I cooked some wings.  They were good, but not crispy.  I marinated for 3 hours in an Asian wet marinade.  I patted them dry with paper towels.  I smoked indirect with the plate at 300 for about 45 minutes.  Then I took the plate off, brushed the wings with a glaze, fired the grill up to 450, and cooked them tried to get a char on them for the next 2 or 3 minutes. 

The wings were good.  They tasted great.  The meat was moist, but the skin was not at all crispy.  Where did I go wrong?  Should I have coated them with oil after patting them dry?  Did the wet marinade kill any chance of crispy skin?  the glaze?

Thanks!

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Common fixes:

1. Crisp skin requires drying time, uncovered, in the fridge. Several hours to overnight (or more)

2. Go raised direct at 375 for the entire cook. 

3. Dust with corn starch prior to cooking. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You need to either lightly dust them with corn starch or cook them at a higher temp. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Raised indirect high in the dome at 400°
    GWN
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I get crispy skin by cooking raised direct to 140f meat temp. with a cast iron pan of oil on the lower grill at 350f dome temp. Don't go too high on the dome temp or you'll smoke your oil. (about wing deep on the oil)

Then take the wings off the grill, remove the top grill, and put the wings in the hot oil for 30 seconds per side.

Set the crispy wings in a bowl of Franks Hot Sauce and butter, put the top grill back on, and finish for a minute or so at 350 with the dome closed to dry the hot sauce.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• ROllTIDEEGGING
    Options
    I've worked on this a while.. and  everyone has their version of crispy. last week I tried a method that produced good results for me.
    1. dry overnight in fridge on paper towels
    2. smoke raised at 235 or so until temp.
    3. Flash fry for 12 seconds in a fry daddy.

This one below I haven't tried yet but should work. It's a direct smoke high in the grid and you toss in peanut oil before hand.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuwasAmjuDQ

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,611
    Options
    If crispy is important, I try to stay away from marinating the wings and use just rub and baking powder or corn starch.  If you do marinate, I would go overnight, uncovered in the fridge.  Agree with the comments about high heat in the dome - this is key for crisp skin as well.  It's hard to overcook wing meat with the all of the bone and skin, so crank it up and leave it there.  
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Trust me the corn starch works like frying. You will be shocked. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Easiest way to get crispy skin is to dry rub them and cook them indirect at 400º for about an hour.  You'll get crispy skin and moist meat without any extra work.  I do them this way all the time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    +1 raised direct at 375 or 400 for about an hour. Always turns out great for me this way. I use full size parts though. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Today I'm going to do my wings whole and uncut on a wing hanger on a raised grid in my XL at 275* direct with some pecan wood. Dried in the fridge for a few hours. Rubbed with leftover Montreal chicken, Meadow Creek BBQ, and a little Chinese 5 spice. At the end I'll toss some with Hoisin and some with General Tso's. I've never done this combo before, we'll see how it turns out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    The key of success for me was higher temperatures (>400F), cooking indirect and sugar in my rub

DieselkW said:
    I get crispy skin by cooking raised direct to 140f meat temp. with a cast iron pan of oil on the lower grill at 350f dome temp. Don't go too high on the dome temp or you'll smoke your oil. (about wing deep on the oil)

Then take the wings off the grill, remove the top grill, and put the wings in the hot oil for 30 seconds per side.

Set the crispy wings in a bowl of Franks Hot Sauce and butter, put the top grill back on, and finish for a minute or so at 350 with the dome closed to dry the hot sauce.

Have you ever tried this method with thighs? I love wings, and I love the texture and smoke that this triple treatment gives. Just intrigued about using it with the bigger, more-meat-to-bone ratio thighs. 

It is alot of work, but crispy grilled smoked chicken is to die for. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Il ways go 400. 30-20-10. Cook for 30, flip for 20, sauce for 10.
    if I want naked wings it's 30-30. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Don't marinade. Cook the wings raised direct. You can use corn starch if you want. I actually came up with that first. Add some sugar to your marinade and glaze with it. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MunchkinRedux
    Options
    Easiest way to get crispy skin is to dry rub them and cook them indirect at 400º for about an hour.  You'll get crispy skin and moist meat without any extra work.  I do them this way all the time.
    +1 on the method.   Dry rub only with 1-2 day air-dry in the fridge.   I cook them raised, indirect at 500-550 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Then I toss them in a little sauce, and put them back on the direct side turning rapidly 2-3 minutes total 'til they get a few black marks.  You can drizzle with extra sauce once plated (optional).