Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef ribs....meh

Options
theyolksonyou
theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
All the beef ribs lately, I decided to give it a go. Got these frozen from the butcher shop this morning and threw them on some OO, pecan and cherry. Seasoned simple with SPOG. 

Locked in at 250 let her rock for 6hrs since they were frozen. 

Results....meh. I think they could have cooked longer. They passed the toothpick test, but around the bone was tough. Flavor was good. Wish I hadn't cooked the veggies on the same fire as everything tasted the same.  Oh well, live and learn...

sorry for the really crappy plated pic. @tarheelmatt I am not. 

And the the pics are exactly backwards, thanks vanilla!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    They certainly look good. I've had mixed results with beef ribs too. I've found they need a little sauce. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Probably just the inclusion of the hassle-spuds ... they can really screw up a good meal.  Also, where did the fork picture go?

Thanks for posting on the frozen ribs ... I've got some in the freezer and will now plan on thawing them out before cooking when we get back home.   

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I made an assumption that those were short ribs from the chuck, plate or rib cut ... yes/no?  Or were they beef ribs ... higher up on the animal next to the back bone?

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Looks like they would be good.  I've only done beef ribs a handful of times but my best result was with a braise at the end.  I've only done shorties.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ImOldGregg
    Options
    I learned this from an old fisherman who sadly is no longer with us.  Marinate them for 24 hours in Baileys. They most certainly will have the funk next time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I made an assumption that those were short ribs from the chuck, plate or rib cut ... yes/no?  Or were they beef rigs ... higher up on the animal next to the back bone?
    Tom, to be honest they only said "beef ribs" they were 2 bone slabs.  I cooked from frozen and I don't really think it affected anything but time. 

Agree with @jeremiah and @Mattman3969 could have used a sauce or braise. 

And yes, those taters were lackluster at best. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I missed the frozen part   Even with a wrap & a braise I will have 6hrs involved. I think you nailed it with a longer cooking time.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The grub looks good in my opinion. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Also, the pictures look good brother! :grin: 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969 I figured 5hrs thawed based on other cooks I be read. Added an hour for frozen and the only tough parts were right around the bones. Needed more time. 

Wife wasn't crazy about the taste, needed sauce. She said it tasted like stew. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Meh? Really? Damn it looks good though!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    The sorry lab, however is really enjoying the bone
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Sorry these didn't live up to your expectations. I've had thawed beef short ribs take 8 hours to get happy. Just give them more time next time if needed.

Also, give this a try for rub:
    http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

I really like it on shorties.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Others have said that beef back ribs (IMPS 124) are good, but I haven't been able to make them worth the time and effort.  The butcher has already removed the good meat from them and left only the bones and a little meat and gristle behind.  They might be okay with braising and such, but still there are better ribs available.

The chuck short ribs (IMPS 130 ... ribs 2 thru 5) are what our local meat market handles ... they come in a four bone, slightly tapered slab.  The butcher cuts them into several different smaller pieces and confuses their origin with funny street names.  If you can get your hands on one of those slabs you're golden.  A simple rub and six hours in the egg will make a believer out of you.  No sauce or braising or anything else is necessary.  @Ozzie_Isaac can vouch for their taste ... he left the table gnawing on one of the bones.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I love a good whiskey-mustard sauce on my short ribs.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    I love a good whiskey-mustard sauce on my short ribs.
    I could definitely get behind that!
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Backwards pic. Of course!  

Finished product looks pretty. No accounting for taste in photos!

I'd think they'd need a heavy coat of seasoning applied for a while to help with the taste and texture. And something grainy with heavy salt -- Montreal Steak maybe. I do shorties that way and have wanted to try a plate or longer rack of beef ribs. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I learned this from an old fisherman who sadly is no longer with us.  Marinate them for 24 hours in Baileys. They most certainly will have the funk next time.
    Do ya love me? Could ya learn ta love me?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013