Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker question.

Options
Trying to research weather or not to pull the trigger on buying a Stoker or not. Amazin Ribs does not recommend it because they got a defective unit from them and then experienced poor customer service. (They also don't think real highly of the BGE so I take their opinion with a grain of salt) Naked Whiz rates it very high with accuracy +/- 1degree at 230 and +/- 4 degree at 425. Has anyone had any issues with the Stoker or their customer service?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Several threads on here about issues with customer service - mostly related to backordered parts/units and slow response times.
    NOLA
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I saw the Amazon Ribs review as well which was concerning. But, the review does not say it is the second version even though the photo appears to be one...  so it could be an old firmware or old unit.  And I can only imagine that the temp consistency can only be a lot better than on a WSM that they tested on.

The talk of customer service is concerning as well.  I just hope I don't need to use it.

Last night I almost bought the cyberq wifi because of that review, but I really want remote access to the controls (outside of wifi range) so the Stoker II it is.  

We have little kids and I hate to be stranded at the house while doing a pork butt on a weekend (not being able to take a walk, run to the store for rolls, etc). or worse, I have taken a half day from work once just to get it done before company arrived.

Even if it does not have precise accuracy, the freedom it will allow (hopefully) will be worth the price of admission.
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    There are quote a few folks on here who have the new Stoker II WiFi and praise the unit. There is also someone who just got a defect and is dealing with poor customer service. At the end of the day, they had a supplier problem, which caused all sorts of trouble and that likely compounded with orders and lead to poor customer service and not answering the calls. They are a small shop from my understanding and when the ole 'perfect storm' happens, it's difficult to manage.

I just rolled the dice and ordered one and we will see how it ends up...
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Options
    I have 2 stokers and love them, I have had the Digi Q and Cyber Q. It all depends what you are going to use it for and I always have people asking questions so I put a paper together that I give out when I am at eggfest, etc.

Gambrills,Maryland