Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions needed on new Primo 16" pizza stone

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Mrs. 500 got me http://www.amazon.com/Primo-338-Porcelain-Glazed-Baking/dp/B0036G8JHG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 THIS PIZZA STONE for our wedding anniversary.  I have a Large BGE.  Will a Primo piece be spit out by the Egg, because it's so offended?
My real question is will this glazed (on one side) 16" stone be too large for the Egg, blocking airflow?  I'm thinking it will be OK, but wondering if it's too big.  And second question: what's your opinion on the glazing?  The dealer told her that with the glaze, pizza won't stick.  This things costs $75, so I want to make sure I'm not headed for a disappointment by not just getting the BGE stone.  Thanks for the opinions.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    16" stone is fine in a large.  Not sure about the glaze.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have a 16 inch stone and it works fine.  I think the glazed stone might be nice so I would give it a try.  I have heard good things about the Emile Henry stones and they are glazed.

An added bonus is you won't have to sleep on the couch for returning your anniversary gift ;)

One thing that would bug me about that stone is the way they put the indented letters all over it.  It probably wouldn't make any real difference, but it seems like the crust might be cook unevenly.  Is the other side flat...and is it also glazed?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

edited March 2015
    Options
    These stones come in glazed and unglazed versions.  The glaze is only on one side, so I guess if I wanted, I could flip it and use the unglazed side.  Agree about the big lettering on it.  No direct contact at the lettering.  Might not be an issue.  I understand that it's cheaper the the BGE stone.  That's what the dealer told her.  He deals in Primos and Eggs.
    Member since 2009
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    the Primo stone is fine, might be an upgrade with the glaze. We sell both, and don't have a single return. 
    Options
    So this is what it looks like on the plate setter with copper spacers. I think I'll keep it. Was concerned that it wasn't as think as the BGE stone. But I don't know how think the BGE stone is. This one is 5/8". How thick is the BGE stone and will it matter?  I trust your opinion @pgprescott just wondering. 
    Member since 2009
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    They're the same thickness. You can used either side, but the glaze is kinda nice, even though it's primo. Might aide in reducing any sticking I would think. Now we need to see some pies!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have an Emile Henry glazed stone, no problems with it at all.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Certainly looks thick enough to be happy at 700f - what have you got underneath to keep it off the plate setter?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    5/8" is about the thickest you normally find sold as pizza stones.  If you look hard, you can find 3/4" kiln shelves.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Options
    DieselkW said:
    Certainly looks thick enough to be happy at 700f - what have you got underneath to keep it off the plate setter?
    4 of these copper pieces. They came from the plumbing dept at the Home Depot or Lowes. 
    Member since 2009
  • garydean
    garydean Posts: 2
    Options
    This is the only place that makes stones to survive high heat read how they are made
    http://www.californiapizzastones.com
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    garydean said:
    This is the only place that makes stones to survive high heat read how they are made
    http://www.californiapizzastones.com
    There are several sources that sell stones that can handle high temperatures.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.