Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite under egg

Options
Hi I'm wondering if anyone has a piece of granite under their egg without a nest. right now I have 4 firebricks pieced together and if I move the egg It kind of wobbles around. I get scrap granite from work from time to time and I'm wondering if the granite can handle the heat from the bottom of the egg.

thanks for any help

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    If you get scraps, run a test. Get a cast iron skillet super hot and see what happens. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Granite formed at room temperature 6000 years ago.  Any higher temps than that and it explodes into thousands of small ben wa balls.
    Options
    Igneous rock at room temp. LOL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Seriously, get a nest or rig something to create an air gap (yet support the bottom of the egg).  Granite can handle the temp most of the time but it just transfers it to whatever is below, as does most material, except not so much with air.
    Options
    I always wondered where Ben wa balls came from....
  • dmarois
    dmarois Posts: 52
    Options
    Seriously, get a nest or rig something to create an air gap (yet support the bottom of the egg).  Granite can handle the temp most of the time but it just transfers it to whatever is below, as does most material, except not so much with air.
    agree with getting a nest, until I get my hands on one would putting the granite on top of the firebricks make sense, It would take care of the wobbling I guess and just be tranferring the heat to the bricks

Thanks for the response
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have only granite under my Egg, but have been meaning to get a nest for it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    I made trivets from some sink cutouts from my granite countertops.  I use them to put hot grates, pots, stones etc on instead of my tabletop.  No problems at all with the heat.  You should get a table nest for your egg though. 
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Get three terra cotta planter feet from any garden center. Put them between the fire bricks and the egg. Gives you an air gap and will stop the wobbling. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    IF…..big IF….you could heat up a piece of granite EVENLY it could probably take a pretty good temperature. 
    BUT, placing an EGG on top?  You'll crack it into Gravel.   BUY and USE a short nest. 
    I think EGGs are designed for airflow under 'em, too.   
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    fwiw, I use a granite sink cut out as a pizza stone - have for years.  No sign of cracking yet.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Let me clarify - you want an air gap.  The material, be it granite, cement or whatever will be fine.