Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs for Dinner

Options
I did a search for turbo ribs and did a lot of reading on the subject.  Thanks to @Mickey for posting the picture of what the bend looks like.  A hour and 40 minutes for me wasn't quite long enough.  I got bend 30 minutes later.  5 minutes with some sauce and these were fantastic!  So my total time was around 2 hours 15 minutes.  Admittedly, I didn't have the grill at the full 350 in the beginning.  Trying to do these weeknight had me pressed for time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• oldgeezeystax
    Options
    Looks great!
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have found that are just as good cold out of the fridge in the morning. Turbo rules!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    Those look awesome! I have been hesitant in trying the turbo method, so I appreciate the write up. I will def try soon. 
    LBGE - Nov/'14
    A Texan residing in Denver, CO.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great.  So what is the verdict?  Would you go turbo all the time now or only when you have a craving on a weeknight?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Yeah, good stuff right there, mine usually take two hours at around 350F. I do them on weeknights a lot.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Those look great! I love turbo. I've tried both low and slow, and turbo. Honestly, I think the turbo ribs are just as good, if not better. Hurts me to say that, cause it just doesn't seem right...
    GWN
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    The ribs look awesome!  I'm thinking of doing a turbo pork butt for eggfest.
  • HostileHarry
    Options
    I too have switch to Turbo Ribs and consistently have great results.
    Big Green Egg: Large & Mini Max
    Kamado Joe: Classic

Chicago, IL
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    @mickey - I found out this morning that cold turbo ribs are in fact delicious!!

@yellowdogbbq - that sounds tasty!

@smokeypitt - Yes.  I will be doing these more often and not just weeknights.  You know, I've been thinking about the reason I would only cook ribs maybe a couple times a year because of the hassle factor.  Not anymore.

I also got to thinking about how personal preferences for the doneness in ribs are diffrerent.  When I was growing up my mom used to boil or steam the ribs in the oven.  Then finish them for a few minutes on the grill with some sauce.  I'd grab a rib and a bone would come clean out and my dad would proclaim "that means it's done just right and is tender and juicy!"

I only began to realize as an adult cooking my own bbq that ribs aren't supposed to be mushy.  Or 'fall of the bone'.  Rather, ribs should have a 'bite'.  Or, have the chew and consistency of a tender steak.  So that when I take a bite into a rib the meat should just pull away from the bone and not fall off.  And the meat should still be tender and juicy like the consistency of a steak.

Turbo ribs produce the perfect rib with a bite.  I can guarantee you as I am sitting here typing this that if I served those ribs to family most of them would tell me they are tough are not cooked right.  I would purposely have to foil them and make them 'fall of the bone' for them and overcook the heck out of them.

Maybe I can try both ways.  I can served foiled and non-foiled racks to see which is proclaimed superior.  I know which rib I prefer.  Doesn't mean it's the right one either.  I won't hold it against my family because that's how they were raised and don't know any better.  Time to plan the next cook!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    @fiver29:  I had the whole family over, and made standard 5-hour ribs and foiled half of them for the ones that like it falling off the bone. I used the adjustable rig and it was very do-able. I like it either way. 

I think I'll try foiling halfway through a turbo cook next time, just to see what happens.
    Judy in San Diego
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options
    Nice cook
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Your ribs look great! Probably a dumb question as I have yet to cook ribs on the BGE, and  have never done turbos in general.  But at 350 and such a short cook do you get much smoke flavor.  I'm guessing but may want a stronger wood.  Thanks in advance for the feed back.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2