Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Typical Elevations

What is the typical elevation for the felt line off of the ground for tables?  I'm trying to reverse engineer the size of the drawers and cabinets I want for my table, but wasn't sure what the consensus was for the ideal working height.  I'm venturing to take it that ideal would be about waist level (depended on the person).  Thoughts?

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

Comments

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    I'd take your tape measure and go to your dealer.  Hopefully they have some eggs setup  Even if they're in nests you can see how high they are and if you want them higher or lower.  The BGE made tables are a little low for my liking so I made mine 3 inches or so taller than their table I saw in the store. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    BGE website has table plans that show these critical measurements. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome - The typical dimensions are available as noted above, but you are not typical, you are you!
    That being said - I like the idea of reverse engineering to waist level, specifically, your waist level. The egg is something you will have to reach over the felt line to get down to a grid on the fire ring. If the base edge is too high, this makes the task more difficult. also, when pizza is raised above the felt line, you don't want to be reaching up. Build your table for you. Enjoy.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    My eggs felt line is 36" off the ground and the table top is 34 1/2" off the ground.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    Be sure to buy a table nest and account for that height also. 
  • jimithing said:
    I'd take your tape measure and go to your dealer.  Hopefully they have some eggs setup  Even if they're in nests you can see how high they are and if you want them higher or lower.  The BGE made tables are a little low for my liking so I made mine 3 inches or so taller than their table I saw in the store. 

I've got my LBGE on a nest at the house and I'm not too happy with that elevation.  It seems a little low for me.  I'll just keep tweaking it and figure out what I like.  I'm drawing it in AutoCAD when I get a few moments at work so that's making it easy to adjust to my needs.  Thanks for the input. 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

• Welcome - The typical dimensions are available as noted above, but you are not typical, you are you!
    That being said - I like the idea of reverse engineering to waist level, specifically, your waist level. The egg is something you will have to reach over the felt line to get down to a grid on the fire ring. If the base edge is too high, this makes the task more difficult. also, when pizza is raised above the felt line, you don't want to be reaching up. Build your table for you. Enjoy.

You are right...I am anything but typical.  I was just looking for a baseline on where everyone started with theirs and how they like the elevation.  I am using an adjustable rig and the rig extender from Ceramic Grill Store, so pizza's are at the very top of that (6" above the fire ring).  I think that a 36" felt line height may make it easier for putting pizza's on at that elevation.  Trial and error unfortunately.  Thanks for the input.   

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

• Tinyfish said:
    My eggs felt line is 36" off the ground and the table top is 34 1/2" off the ground.

36" was the starting number that I was going with for the felt line.  I like that it is a little above waist level but not so high that I would be uncomfortable.  I will be cooking off the adjustable rig and extender for pizza and the like.  Thanks for the input.

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

• Be sure to buy a table nest and account for that height also. 

I was planning on 2" for this elevation plus about another 1/2" of projection for the piece of quartz that I was going to put the nest on.  The hard part right now is deciding on the casters I want to use and incorporating their heights.  A lot of pieces and parts in this thing have to come together just right.  Reminds me of work.  Thanks for the input. 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL