Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best High Heat Gloves

Options
Been using welding gloves and have been fine, but just a question to the masses. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I love my high heat gloves from BGE. They are a year old and still no heat transfer. But my Ace Hardware has the same glove without the BGE logo for about $10 cheaper. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Bedbathandbeyond carries Ove gloves which are great just like the Pitt mitt or BGE gloves. They are like $15' a piece but I have had a pair of ove gloves for atleast 3 years. I put them on and stir red hot lump with my hand and its fine. BB&B also had a pair that felt the same material as the ove glove but stopped right where the wrist begins versus the ove gloves go a couple inches further but a pair of the others was only $10. I am going to get a pair for lifting hot clean things and keep the pair I have for stirring lump, pulling dirty accessories etc.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I really like gloves made for firefighting. They protect from heat really well, including in wet conditions. They are also pretty tough and last well.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    +1 for the Ove Gloves. I carry cast iron frying pans fresh off the egg in the house with just a little heat making it thru.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have the ones @Jeremiah linked. I like them, but @tarheelmatt posted some I think in that same thread with a higher cuff and higher heat rating. I'm on mobile so searching sucks so sorry no link. 
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I'm a firefighter and our gloves work great. I once saw a guy lifting a burned out bed frame and his gloves caught on fire. He didn't even notice that his hands were on fire! I just bought a pair of welding gloves off amazon. I use them to wok. The issue is that the heat sneaks up on you and you get burned quick. Go higher quality than I did
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not sure about the best, these are the ones I bought recently and they work well. Been removing CI pans, grates, platesetter,and whatever else hot with no issues.

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Oven-Gloves-Extra-Long-Cuff/dp/B00GEBA52C

My own picture:

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    I liked the idea of the longer cuff for doing steaks, caveman, or even stoking fire. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I ordered a pair of welding gloves at the same time I purchased my AR R&B Oval setup:

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/welders-gloves/

They're pretty nice but a tad bulky.  I use some standard big box store gloves that can be had for $3 or $4 per pair for slow cooks and general setup / cleaning chores.  I also have a set of meat gloves for handling just the protein, also ordered at the same time of my R&B purchase:

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-meat-gloves/

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For REALLY hot conditions I have these gloves made for use in a steel foundry. They are rated to 2,100º. Only trouble is they are huge and not too flexible!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Don't know where I got my welders gloves, but they are so old, it was about 10-15 more years before Amazon even existed. Bought them way back when I heated my house, at least in part, with a wood stove. Briefly grabbing a burning log was no problem.  Thing is, I hardly ever NEED gloves for the egg. On those rare occasions, my old welders are fine. As long as I'm quick about it. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Don't know where I got my welders gloves, but they are so old, it was about 10-15 more years before Amazon even existed. Bought them way back when I heated my house, at least in part, with a wood stove. Briefly grabbing a burning log was no problem.  Thing is, I hardly ever NEED gloves for the egg. On those rare occasions, my old welders are fine. As long as I'm quick about it. 
    Cool story bro.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    I ordered a pair of welding gloves at the same time I purchased my AR R&B Oval setup:

They're pretty nice but a tad bulky.  I use some standard big box store gloves that can be had for $3 or $4 per pair for slow cooks and general setup / cleaning chores.  I also have a set of meat gloves for handling just the protein, also ordered at the same time of my R&B purchase:

I have both of those gloves that CGS sells.  Welders were burnt so are really stiff in the fingers.  I plan to get the gloves Matt linked.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    RRP said:
    For REALLY hot conditions I have these gloves made for use in a steel foundry. They are rated to 2,100º. Only trouble is they are huge and not too flexible!

I need a pair of these. Do you have a link for purchasing these gloves?
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I bought these from Lowe's several years ago when I got my Egg.  They're cheap and I still have and use them and have been great for anything associated with the Egg, handling a hot grate, lifting out a hot plate setter, etc.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_181122-47981-42169_0__?productId=3318200&Ntt=grilling+gloves&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=grilling+gloves&facetInfo=

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• RRP
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    RRP said:

I need a pair of these. Do you have a link for purchasing these gloves?
    I bought tem maybe 12 years ago and I honestly don't remember nor do they have ant brand tag sewn in. I recall they came from a safety equipment supplier. Let me see if I can find something for you. BTW I have never used them and they are brand new!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    RRP said:

Someday you will hit your growth spurt Ron and they will be just right. 
  • mahenryak
    Options
    cazzy said:
    mahenryak said:

I have both of those gloves that CGS sells.  Welders were burnt so are really stiff in the fingers.  I plan to get the gloves Matt linked.
    Yeah, I don't really use the heavier welders gloves all that much--too bulky, as stated.  For the most part I seem to get by with the el cheapo gloves that are not rated for high heat.  I will definitely be looking to order something like the gloves tarheelmatt has linked to if/when I should order another pair. 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I have three types of gloves:

1 - 17" leather welder/bbq which I use when I am arranging coals or such and just am mainly concerned about blocking radiant heat from melting my skin or just grabbing a hot grill grate for a few seconds.

2 - fabric "Grill Heat Aid" brand long cuff fabric gloves which are excellent when needing to hold/carry hot cast iron pots and the like. These do a great job at blocking heat for more than just a few seconds. One caution though - they are porous so you want to be very careful around hot liquids.

3 - neoprene bbq pit gloves which are great when actually needing to handle hot food or reach into pots full of hot liquid
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not sure about the best, these are the ones I bought recently and they work well. Been removing CI pans, grates, platesetter,and whatever else hot with no issues.

Link:

Are they safe in damp conditions, extended high humidity or momentary exposure to rain?  Just thinking about summer BBQ conditions when its hot and humid for days with occasional downpours.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

Link:

Are they safe in damp conditions, extended high humidity or momentary exposure to rain?  Just thinking about summer BBQ conditions when its hot and humid for days with occasional downpours.
    Not sure ,I just got them,however I have them stored in a plastic tote (small one). I wouldn't leave them outside though. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Ragtop99 said:

Link:

Those are the ones that I have. They are machine washable so  a little rain or humidity won't harm them. If kept damp tho they might get a little moldy/stinky but a trip thru the washer/dryer would fix that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I have 2 sets of the ones like @tarheelmatt has.  They work perfect even when picking up white hot CI or the pizza stone or PS.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Someday you will hit your growth spurt Ron and they will be just right. 
    LOL  - I hear you. The reason I posted the picture with the dollar bill is that  a bill is essentially 6" wide so each glove is 6" wide. Now if I grow up to have palms 6" wide then I could play basket ball for sure...but wait...I'm already too old to do that now!
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    @Lit thanks for the tip about BB&B. I just bought a pair of Tuff Gloves for $10 good to 500f.  Will wait for Father's Day for the welders gloves.
  • mahenryak
    Options
    I have 2 sets of the ones like @tarheelmatt has.  They work perfect even when picking up white hot CI or the pizza stone or PS.  
    Too many good reviews.  I'm going to have to pick up a set of these.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

Link:

Strange set of reviews on Amazon. Most people love these gloves, but there are still a number that said they didn't protect from the heat for more than a few seconds.  Do they really protect your hands for a reasonable number of seconds?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I use pit mitts. I can lift out the grate, handle the plate setter, move lump around. They've been great. On sale they're less than $15 a piece.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • patkline9999
    Options
    I've been using there really long black leather ones that say "Steve Raichlen" on them ..work great and also protect my forearms from the burned hair syndrome. 
    Smokin' in the beautiful Oley Valley (in PA.)