Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood chunks and wood chips

Options
Do either of these lose their smoking power if not used up for awhile.  Guess what im looking for is if they have a shelf life like seasonings

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited March 2015
    Options

:D Once it petrifies, it's worthless.

Until then, you're good. :)

Just keep/use it dry.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Long answer-Wood that has been allowed to air-dry will give up moisture until it ends up in equilibrium with the natural moisture content of the local environment.  This wood will burn quicker and impart less smoke/volume than fresher (less dry) wood.  I doubt you will notice the difference in the amounts you would use. 
    You will get smoke from any wood you use, just a question of how much.
    Short answer-there is a shelf-life but I don't think it is anywhere as noticeable as seasonings.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Just make sure there's no mold on it.