Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cutting a large nest down into a small nest?

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever cut down a large nest to fit a small egg?  I listed a want ad on Craigslist a few months ago for a small BGE nest and I only received one response.  The gentleman wanted $80 for the small nest.  Um..... no thanks.  Since OO disappeared out of nowhere I need to be a little more frugal with my remaining stash of OO lump.  So I'm hoping to down size eggs with basic cooks.  The problem is the small tends to get buried in the garage since it's in a cart and not movable when cars are parked in the garage.  So I'm hoping to get or make a nest that I can roll in and out with cars parked in the garage.  Since I have a spare large nest I'm thinking I could cut down the cross supports to shorten it. The nest will sit taller then the average small nest making it a bit more top heavy but it will only be moving 4-5 feet when in use.  Your thoughts?  $130 for a new nest is laughable.  $80 is way too much used.  Worth the chop?  
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    You could probably pull it off, knowing your skills.
    I have nothing further to offer. :disappointed: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Post the large nest for sale then apply towards small nest, but then I am not motivated and I specialize in lazy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    It should be simple if you have access to a welder.  Another idea would be to build a steel basket reducer that fits inside the large nest and the small egg fits inside the reducer frame work.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Hawg Fan said:
    It should be simple if you have access to a welder.  Another idea would be to build a steel basket reducer that fits inside the large nest and the small egg fits inside the reducer frame work.

I like this idea the best. Leaves the LBGE nest intact in case you want to use or sell it later.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    If you have great metal working skills...make a carrier like the Mini Max has.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Just cut it give it a try. Then build a home outside for them
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
     I use fire bricks in my extra large fire box to control lump use when I need to