Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Warranty. Is it really the best? You be the judge.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
At times, folks ask is BGE really worth the extra money. My answer is absolutley yes. This was replaced no questions asked and without hesitation. My hat is off to BGE and the best warranty in the industry. The mini is now back in top form and ready to roll!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• RiverDoc
    RiverDoc Posts: 572
    Options
    That is great to see! Glad it's up and running.
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing with both my MM and LG, great customer service from an eggcellent company!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have never had an issue getting replacement parts right away since I live by Tucker but these people that have to wait a month or more for their stores next shipment would suck. There are other companies that ship the replacements directly to you at their cost. BGE is good but I can't say the best.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    For some reason I thought you bought a used mini. I guess if you have a warranty I was incorrect. 

Little Rock, AR

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Here's a question.  My wife bought me the egg several years ago, but never initiated the warranty.  Am I screwed, or is there some way to start it now?  If so, where is the serial number?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Lit
    Options
    @saltysam do you have the receipt?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Good deal!  They seem too knotch.

I will say Weber has been great to me.  I had a cast aluminum firebox burn through after 6 years of steady use.  I sent some pics to their email.  Got a response and had new parts including all new mounting hardware, ignitor, and switch.

No hassle at all!  Granted their warranty is not lifetime but 25 years is pretty sweet.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    Options
    For some reason I thought you bought a used mini. I guess if you have a warranty I was incorrect. 
    You are correct. I did not buy my mini from a dealer. For what it's worth, BGE covered my mini due to my "contribution" to their forum. I'm thankful just the same. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    SGH said:
    You are correct. I did not buy my mini from a dealer. For what it's worth, BGE covered my mini due to my "contribution" to their forum. I'm thankful just the same. 
    Oh wow!  Ok that takes it up a bunch.  A company that looks after their eggheads like that is awesome.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Lit
    Options
    @ozzie_Isaac Weber was one of the companies that kills BGE on warranty. I bought a used genesis that was rusting out all over the place because it was kept outside by the beach. I called Weber and gave them the serial number and they pretty much shipped me a whole new grill. No receipt or anything just by the serial number and your right 25 years is a long warranty.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Hoping for the same thing with my large. I emailed my dealer a couple weeks ago and haven't heard back, but I got a couple of pretty good cracks in  my firebox.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Monty77 said:
    I have experienced the same thing with both my MM and LG, great customer service from an eggcellent company!  
    MM issue? Already.....might be a record
    Seattle, WA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Good deal!  They seem too knotch.

I will say Weber has been great to me.  I had a cast aluminum firebox burn through after 6 years of steady use.  I sent some pics to their email.  Got a response and had new parts including all new mounting hardware, ignitor, and switch.

No hassle at all!  Granted their warranty is not lifetime but 25 years is pretty sweet.
    Heck, I'll be happy if *I* make it 25 more years...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    The only parts on my XL that are original are the dome, ceramic cap, DFMT, grate, grid, and bands. I guess in other words, my firebox has been replaced once, fire ring and base both twice. All under warranty.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    Monty77 said:
    MM issue? Already.....might be a record
    LOL, fire ring was broken in two/concealed damaged during shipping.  I opened the box, shed a tear, then called my dealer.  They brought a replacement fire ring to my home within the hour and I was Eggin shortly after.  The MM has been great since, seeing more action than my Large right now.   

Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lit said:
    @ozzie_Isaac Weber was one of the companies that kills BGE on warranty. I bought a used genesis that was rusting out all over the place because it was kept outside by the beach. I called Weber and gave them the serial number and they pretty much shipped me a whole new grill. No receipt or anything just by the serial number and your right 25 years is a long warranty.

Well, this thread is going to sink now. Weber has been great about its warranty whenever I contacted them. I bought a rusted out ss top Performer off of CL years ago and called them for a bunch of parts to rebuild it. They sent it all out to me, under warranty, free 2 day shipping.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @caliking yup free 2 day shipping was great.  I felt bad it took me 2 weeks till I had time to swap the parts.
  • DMW
    Options
    DMW said:
    The only parts on my XL that are original are the dome, ceramic cap, DFMT, grate, grid, and bands. I guess in other words, my firebox has been replaced once, fire ring and base both twice. All under warranty.

Oh, forgot, my plate setter has been replaced twice under warranty. My current PS is developing a new crack as well. I have no idea what I do to my XL to make it hate me so, but I'm glad I purchased it new.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Oh, forgot, my plate setter has been replaced twice under warranty. 
    My setter for my large has been replaced as well. No questions asked. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Our plate setter has been replaced once.  It's cracked right now but staying together.  Out of warranty, but I'm replacing it with the AR when it finally dies. 

Yes, they have a good warranty. 

I am truly amazed at how little a percentage of warranty claims we get in as a whole.  We are the only dealer within miles that carries a full parts department, so we get most claims from the area, maybe 15/20 fireboxes a year.  Not much when you consider the volume that is done in this area.

Not only a good warranty, but a decent sized dealer network in most areas that allow a user to drive nearby and pick up their part.  A warranty part that has to be freighted 500 miles isn't so good. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Charger
    Charger Posts: 19
    Options
    I've had mine for around 8 months and they have replace my platesetter and bottom fire box no questions asked. Top notch company. My buddy just ask me that question today is the Green Egg worth the money. I replied yes sir and I'm buying another one
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Glad you posted that. They ARE great to work with. Word of mouth is the best advertisement . 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:

Oh, forgot, my plate setter has been replaced twice under warranty. My current PS is developing a new crack as well. I have no idea what I do to my XL to make it hate me so, but I'm glad I purchased it new.
    Just noticed yesterday my placesetter has also developed a crack. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Bump for this:

SaltySam said:
    Here's a question.  My wife bought me the egg several years ago, but never initiated the warranty.  Am I screwed, or is there some way to start it now?  If so, where is the serial number?
    I am in a similar situation. I do not know if I ever initiated it, although I am the original owner.
    I wonder if there is a way to start it years later.
    I do not have the receipt and we got it from a Amish/Mennonite dealer in lancaster PA. They do everything handwritten. If it was not 25 miles away, I would go there and ask, but their hours do not work well with mine.  Any thoughts on how @SaltySam and I should proceed?

Salty my egg came with the feet, so there is a serial number on them. Not sure if you have those or not.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Lit
    Options
    Its not the number on the feet they want. There are multiple numbers around the egg but they want the one from the back inside of the dome. If your dealer remembers you you are probably ok but I would try to find a credit card statement etc and go to the store and see if they will give you a new receipt. I think the strictness of warranty claims varies from region to region based on what the distributor requires. I have never been asked if I registered an egg when I used my warranty but I have all the receipts. I have a hand written receipt for my mini from a local trailor store and I'm sure that will work fine.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    ah... thanks @Lit  I would have tried the wrong number....  I appreciate the help.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SGH
    Options
    For those asking about never activating the warranty, I have heard that BGE is more than willing to work with you. I have actually heard this from several different folks. It's certainly worth a call or email to them to inquire. The little that I have had to deal with them, they have been very kind and more than helpful. I'm not normally one to get on the bandwagon, but I have to say that their customer service has been spectacular thus far. I would at least call them and ask about it.

Status- Standing by.

• islanderegger
    Options
    Your lucky, my dealer about 90 minutes drive from me doesn't even respond to my e-mails. But when I wanted to buy one, that was a different story.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Dealers make or break a marketing model like BGE has.  It is critical to have engaged dealers willing to support all aspects of a green eggs life cycle.

My dealer and his son are both in the "life-style" and are fantastic.  They also are within 10 miles.  I feel for those with unwilling dealers or who live miles and miles from one.  That is when BGE needs to step up and fill the void.