Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Table Build

Options
Almost done with my shameless ripoff of gijoejd's table (with modifications due to my lack of tools and skills). 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Looks really good 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Wow, nice. Can't even imagine what you could do with tools and skill.
  • JBTx
    JBTx Posts: 18
    Options
    All done (almost)! Need to clean up the cutout a bit more so I can remove the spacers under the nest.  =)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You did a great job! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great job on the table nice view for cooking too
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • jstnezell
    jstnezell Posts: 62
    Options
    Are there plans for that build?  I'm planning a table and really like the looks of this one 
    Houston, TX - LBGE
  • JBTx
    Options
    I made an imgur album of my build. It has decent shots and descriptions of most of the process. Link is here: http://imgur.com/a/1Ihnz

I didn't really work from plans. I just made a rough sketch of the dimensions and went from there. I did have a hard time finding plans from other builds I liked, so I'm happy to answer any question or add any other pictures.
  • WisconsinJim
    Options

Very nicely done.

• Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    Beautiful table and thanks for documenting the build.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

Oooh I really like this.  Beautiful finish, and I like the cabinets.  Nice job :) 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Great job!  Have you considered replacing the spacers under your nest with a granite tile?  It would maintain your clearance and protect the wood finish from ash.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • JBTx
    Options
    @Hawg Fan I have since removed the spacers. When I first put the egg in, I realized that my cutout was too small (uneven is probably the better descriptor). I went back and did a 21.5" cut all the way around. Now I have a solid 1/4"+ of clearance between the egg and the table top, and I don't need spacers.

• Jamielampert
    Options
    I would put a paver under the nest. Need some heat resistance between the bottom of the egg and the wood
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    JBTx said:
    @Hawg Fan I have since removed the spacers. When I first put the egg in, I realized that my cutout was too small (uneven is probably the better descriptor). I went back and did a 21.5" cut all the way around. Now I have a solid 1/4"+ of clearance between the egg and the table top, and I don't need spacers.

Just curious - how did you get a 21.5" cut around it evenly?  Did you freehand it with a jig saw?  I'll have to cut a hole in my table in the next few days and I know I wouldn't be able to cut a good circle with a jig saw.  I'm also very amateur when it comes to wood working.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    jimithing said:
    Just curious - how did you get a 21.5" cut around it evenly?  Did you freehand it with a jig saw?  I'll have to cut a hole in my table in the next few days and I know I wouldn't be able to cut a good circle with a jig saw.  I'm also very amateur when it comes to wood working.
    I would think a router on a pivot would do a good job.  There is more than one way to cut the hole, but that would be my choice. 
    Phoenix 
  • JBTx
    Options
    @jimithing I had to freehand my cut with a jigsaw. I didn't realize I could get a pivot for my router until I'd already made the jigsaw cut :angry: If you have access to a router, you will be MUCH happier with your hole if you use a hole cutting system. Otherwise, you might end up going back and cleaning up something like this! (I told you it might have been uneven  :s)

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation - I bought a router and a circle jig just for cutting this hole.  I've wanted a router for a while anyways, this is just a good excuse to go ahead and pull the trigger.  Guess we'll see how it goes.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A temporary cross brace under the table top would provide a pivot point to really dress/true it up with a router.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• JBTx
    Options
    @Jeepster47 It definitely would. I had to build a cross brace to redraw the line, and I wanted to true it up with my router. My router just wouldn't handle a bit that was deep enough to make the cut in the 2x4's. All of the 1.5"+ bits required a 1/2" shank and mine only took 1/4". 

Ahh well. Live and learn!
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    That's what I was thinking.   An AWFULLY robust table top, especially since it is NOT under load.  
  • JBTx
    Options
    @Begger That it is. It's the product of changing your table design after you've already ordered your boards. Originally planned on a 1x4 top, but I ended up with too many 2x4's and not enough 1x4's to finish the siding and the top. Lemons to lemonade and all that.
  • elathe
    elathe Posts: 1
    Options
    jimithing said:
    JBTx said:

I too am amateur wood worker. I just recently built a cart for my new egg and had to cut the circle.  I started by tying one end of a string to a nail and measuring another tie off at 10.5 in to tie a pencil to.  Then nailed the nail to by eyeballing the approximate spot and drew the circle with the pencil attached at the other end.  Circle turned out perfectly round and 21" in diameter.  Hope this helps.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Great job!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    I wish I had this skill set!
    McKinney, TX
  • JBTx
    Options
    @Lmidkiff Don't let that stop you! This was my second project ever, and I'm more than happy with the results. A little bit of planning, and I think anyone could do it.