Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone on here an electrician?

Options
So I am thinking about a career change. I have spent last 7 years working in telecommunications, from help desk support to sales, and I am wanting something different. I am drawn to the idea of a trade career. Based on reputation it is something that is not going away, can't be outsourced, and will provide a solid middle class life ($50-80K?) and that I can do side work with as well. Idea of plumber or construction has no draw for me and don't think I would enjoy being a welder, though I have a friend who does and he enjoys that. 
I would have to go back to school for electrician, at least get a certificate to start and then maybe get the degree as needed.

So anyone on here an electrician? What advice do you have for someone interested? What particular skills, hard and soft, does a person need in that field? What specific facet of that field would be good to focus on, or to avoid? 

I am 29 with a kid so it is a risk changing like this but I just feel like I would have better long term job stability and job satisfaction finding something with a tangible goal vs what I have been doing. 

Any and all advice would be appreciated. Whether with this field or another field it would be worth me looking into. 
Boom

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Is it possible to get your certificate and perhaps lands some side jobs to see if you like it before you quit your current job? Just a thought. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Is it possible to get your certificate and perhaps lands some side jobs to see if you like it before you quit your current job? Just a thought. 
    My position was downsized last week. So that is really spurring me to make a decision. I have been thinking about it for awhile but now I am looking at either trying to get another job in field I have been in, and that would probably mean a pay cut and back to non-traditional m-f 8-5 hours or start over in a new field. 
    Boom
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Every electrician I know has a big house, a camper, and a boat. Must not be too bad. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Where are you located? And how would you rate your mechanical/Technical aptitude?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Another option is taking a class(es) at the community college. It won't cost much(relatively) and you could get to go on some on the job apprenticeship training. My local college offers an Electrical Certificate that is a year-long course and a Letter of Recognition course that is 24 credits(22 with a 2 credit internship option) and 11 credits or 1 semester, respectively.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Hi54putty said:
    Every electrician I know has a big house, a camper, and a boat. Must not be too bad. 
    Ha! Well that is a start.

Do you know how long they have been doing? What specific field in that industry they focus on?
    Boom
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    lots of different fields for electricians, other than the guy who drops a plug now an then at your house.   my nephew works for a big firm and all he does is install and maintain high end controllers and such.  One of the cleaner and better paying jobs for an electrician. 

If you don't mind moving, check out places in the US where populations are growing, like Texas.   Most electricians and plumbers around me are looking for good help.  Good meaning,  a responsible kid.  It's a field where you'll pay your dues as you work through the grade levels.

One thing I've learned is any and all professions go through up and down times.  Electricians will follow the housing market for the most part.  

t  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I'm not an electrician but I used to work for an Electrical Company and then an Electrical Supply house before making a career change myself.  Depending on the type of work you want to get into you have some options.  Since you say you're not high on construction you're a bit limited as a lot of electrical work is during the construction phase of jobs/homes so you may want to reconsider that mindset or the career change altogether, unless you can find a job with a school board/municipality mainly doing electrical maintenance.  A couple places to start looking would be checking into your states Apprenticeship program, basically you'd get a job most likely as a helper at first and go to class one or two nights a week and work your way up to Journeyman or Master Electrician.  Working is a key component to the program so finding a job as you start the classes or even before is probably your best bet going this route.  Another place to look for information would be the Power Company in your area and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), they're the largest union for Electricians and should have some good info for you on getting into the trade.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    aukerns08 said:
    I'm not an electrician but I used to work for an Electrical Company and then an Electrical Supply house before making a career change myself.  Depending on the type of work you want to get into you have some options.  Since you say you're not high on construction you're a bit limited as a lot of electrical work is during the construction phase of jobs/homes so you may want to reconsider that mindset or the career change altogether, unless you can find a job with a school board/municipality mainly doing electrical maintenance.  A couple places to start looking would be checking into your states Apprenticeship program, basically you'd get a job most likely as a helper at first and go to class one or two nights a week and work your way up to Journeyman or Master Electrician.  Working is a key component to the program so finding a job as you start the classes or even before is probably your best bet going this route.  Another place to look for information would be the Power Company in your area and the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), they're the largest union for Electricians and should have some good info for you on getting into the trade.
    When i mentioned construction I meant more that i do not want to do construction, not that i don't want to work in a field that would involve working at construction sites or with construction. I don't want to build houses or buildings. 

I am in SC so pretty sure few to no unions around here but I will certainly research that. 

Thanks for informative post. 
    Boom
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have a buddy that's been an electrician for several years atleast and he makes less than $20 an hour. I'm sure that will change as he gains more experience but I wouldn't plan on starting over $50k unless you are planning on OT.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Lit said:
    I have a buddy that's been an electrician for several years atleast and he makes less than $20 an hour. I'm sure that will change as he gains more experience but I wouldn't plan on starting over $50k unless you are planning on OT.
    Dang, that is not good.

Is he doing apprenticeship? Or still in school? 
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    fireman/electrician, benefits, health, retirement, and money under the table =)

2 firemen on my lake of 34 homes, two 1 million dollar homes, both firemen, both electricians on the side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I am not 100% sure. I do know he has been doing it atleast 3-4 years though. You can make cash on the side though I know he helped another friend run 240 outback for his hot tub.
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

2 firemen on my lake of 34 homes, two 1 million dollar homes, both firemen, both electricians on the side
    I would be more than happy with a fraction of that. I need at least $20 hour to start and sustain but I can live a comfortable life at $60K a year. $80K a year and I am a very happy man. 
    Boom
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You can certainly change. You are young enough to make it work. I am about 50 miles south of Augusta, GA in a rural area and electricians here do very well for themselves. 

One of them started off doing residential and commercial, but in the past 5 years or so he has started doing more work for farmers on their pivots. I am not sure how it is in the farming areas of South Carolina where you are located, but down here they are clearing trees like crazy and putting in row crops and of course they are installing pivots for irrigation. 

Working on pivots can be very profitable. Especially in the summer when the crops will die if they can't get water. 

You will more than likely need to work for an electrician for a year or longer to really understand the business aspect of it. 

Good luck to you. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fishlessman
    Options

I would be more than happy with a fraction of that. I need at least $20 hour to start and sustain but I can live a comfortable life at $60K a year. $80K a year and I am a very happy man. 
    the thing with the fireman aspect is the job leads, theres already plumbers, sheet wallers,roofers, carpenters etc they are already working for themselves and the work just gets shuffled around. and every fire house around me has a grill in back =)  ive even seen a guy start a good sized motorcycle shop next door to the station while working as a fireman
    fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys I realize I'm in a completely different trade but.... After the military I already had my certs & licences and still in 1999 started at $8.50 as a trim tech in residential and condos. I continued in residential and light commercial and also furthered my education and technical depth and the pay followed. Starting at a minimum of $20 per hr is not only unrealistic it's a slap in the face to those who have worked their ass of to get there. (not saying that's what your intentions are either). Unless you are a Master or Journeyman with experience and doing work in a industrial & commercial setting I don't see the wage being feasible right away. It took me a lot of education & experience to get where I am in Industrial & Commercial HVAC/R.  I am a Non Union employee. I'm sure wages vary from state to state. Good luck. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys I realize I'm in a completely different trade but.... After the military I already had my certs & licences and still in 1999 started at $8.50 as a trim tech in residential and condos. I continued in residential and light commercial and also furthered my education and technical depth and the pay followed. Starting at a minimum of $20 per hr is not only unrealistic it's a slap in the face to those who have worked their ass of to get there. (not saying that's what your intentions are either). Unless you are a Master or Journeyman with experience and doing work in a industrial & commercial setting I don't see the wage being feasible right away. It took me a lot of education & experience to get where I am in Industrial & Commercial HVAC/R.  I am a Non Union employee. I'm sure wages vary from state to state. Good luck. 

In our province the government mandates that apprentices start at 40% of the journeyman rate which in our case is $16.00 per hour. That rate is increased by 10% of the rate or $4.00 an hour every 2000 hours or period of the apprenticeship.(That can be as low as 1600 hours depending on education) 

I tried to get into HVAC when I started my apprenticeship.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

When I grow up I want to be a millwright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kn-XXNCG8o

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• meat73
    meat73 Posts: 140
    Options
    Check with power company apprentice electrician or apprentice lineman meter reader get in the door then work your way up our journeyma lineman make $35 an hour hard work not best conditions but good wage and benefit package
  • Little Steven
    Options

My dad was a firefighter and as soon as I got my license he tried to get my partner and I to go on. We said no. In hindsight we would still have the company, be long retired as firefighters and have a pension.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm a substation electrican for a large utility company in Indiana. I know our company has partnerships with community colleges across the state. Some of our guys actually teach the classes. If your not afraid of heights I would recommend substation or lineman.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Awww good ole govt mandates well isn't that just ducky. Funny I thought I just needed to be an excellent tech with a wealth of knowledge to get more money.  This is NOT a poke at you Steven. But,  I've grown tired of govt mandates that let unqualified personnel (or personnel with minimal experience) gain $$$ without paying their dues.  My favorite is fast food wanting $15+ per hour starting out... shut the front door!  I'm all for folks making a fair wage or salary but, work for it don't expect the govt to do it for you. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    Options

My dad was a firefighter and as soon as I got my license he tried to get my partner and I to go on. We said no. In hindsight we would still have the company, be long retired as firefighters and have a pension.
    after 30 years in a welding fab shop with a mechanical engineering degree working in a dead trade i totally agree. if were doing it again it would be firefighter and i could still run this place
    fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    A solid HVAC/R tech capable of Industrial & Commercial service should expect to earn $21-$35 per hr depending on their abilities and experience level + OT of course. I'm sure this would reflect electricians as well. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    bweaver said:
    I'm a substation electrican for a large utility company in Indiana. I know our company has partnerships with community colleges across the state. Some of our guys actually teach the classes. If your not afraid of heights I would recommend substation or lineman.
    Terrified of heights ha. I can do heat, can do fairly tight areas. But not heights. 

Local community college is on spring break this week but have an appointment next week to meet with someone. 

If can get a lead with a job while working on certificate and then get degree it would be a solid start. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

the thing with the fireman aspect is the job leads, theres already plumbers, sheet wallers,roofers, carpenters etc they are already working for themselves and the work just gets shuffled around. and every fire house around me has a grill in back =)  ive even seen a guy start a good sized motorcycle shop next door to the station while working as a fireman
    Interesting. Not sure I'm fireman material. I have a bad left knee. Can't run or anything. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    You can certainly change. You are young enough to make it work. I am about 50 miles south of Augusta, GA in a rural area and electricians here do very well for themselves. 

One of them started off doing residential and commercial, but in the past 5 years or so he has started doing more work for farmers on their pivots. I am not sure how it is in the farming areas of South Carolina where you are located, but down here they are clearing trees like crazy and putting in row crops and of course they are installing pivots for irrigation. 

Working on pivots can be very profitable. Especially in the summer when the crops will die if they can't get water. 

You will more than likely need to work for an electrician for a year or longer to really understand the business aspect of it. 

Good luck to you. 
    Good info. Thanks. Seems like getting a good knowledge then branching off into something less common or popular is a good route to go if can find it 
    Boom
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys we have a guy terrified of heights but, truthfully once you're up a 100'+ and on the roof it's like waking on the ground. Always remember safety and it's not the fall that kills it's the sudden stop.  :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys either way a utility company whether it be natural gas or electric are great places to get in with. Good Luck!